SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Umm...... buying bottom paint I take it... :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Plexus plastic polish, over $1.50 an ounce ($20 for 13oz.), you'd think they were selling a good single malt scotch. By the way I just paid more than $50for a bottle of 16 yr old Lagavulin Scotch Single Malt to keep on the boat, its 750ML so at least I feel like I got my money's worth.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Umm...... buying bottom paint
VC-17. Pretty well the standard here in Ontario - low growth environment.

It's not that I mind spending money on the boat - but as sales volume goes down chandlery prices have been rising to maintain profits.

The independents are losing some of the goodwill they've built up over the years. The economy is starting to tank here now as well. I think some of them are going to fold. Unfortunate but they're all using a very dated business model. The internet has changed the way we buy things. There is a big hole in the market right now for a Canadian "Defender Industries" or "Sailnet Store".

Pride Marine (Ottawa-based) is trying to grab that slot, but their on-liine product base is not extensive enough.

How are the independents faring down there ?

$50for a bottle of 16 yr old Lagavulin Scotch Single Malt
A wise investment indeed ! :)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Poor Hartley18 and TDW are stuck upside down, with the blood rushing to their heads... :)
When I was a kid, there was no way you could convince me that when it rained in Australia that the rain drops actually hit the ground. My understanding of gravity and physics at that age told me that down under it rained up!:D

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
This is true. I picked up a copy of the excellent Practical Boat Owner magazine (published in the UK) and all the numbers seemed identical in pounds as to the Canadian dollar in terms of price, an 80% markup.

·
Splashed
572 Posts
+ another 50%

And we're buying from the UK, because we save 50% there :puke

This is true. I picked up a copy of the excellent Practical Boat Owner magazine (published in the UK) and all the numbers seemed identical in pounds as to the Canadian dollar in terms of price, an 80% markup.

·
NON member
544 Posts
When I was a kid, there was no way you could convince me that when it rained in Australia that the rain drops actually hit the ground. My understanding of gravity and physics at that age told me that down under it rained up!:D[/QUOTE

It doesn't???

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
When I was a kid, there was no way you could convince me that when it rained in Australia that the rain drops actually hit the ground. My understanding of gravity and physics at that age told me that down under it rained up!:D[/QUOTE

It doesn't???
Of course it does. How do you think the rain gets INTO the clouds so that it can rain here?

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Of course it does. How do you think the rain gets INTO the clouds so that it can rain here?

IF I just had that answer for my 6th grade science teacher. That would have made her head spin. Thanks. KS

P,S, If you ever run into Kansas (Big) Ed Beckley from Dodge City tell him I said hello.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
the small marine supply stores are in a real bind. Places like Defender can under price them, add in the slowing economy and there will be loss of local suppliers. Then we'll be screwed as there will be no local place to go for the odds and ends you want right now, like some SS bolts or a 3' piece of hose or some lines. Imagine having to order that stuff off the internet.

And I'm guilty too. It's just too tempting to pay half price over the local supplier.

As for prices generally; I'm sometimes amazed at the high price of some things and the low price of others. Look at electronics. You get a pretty incredeble piece of equipment for $200.

I suspect a lot of the price of paint is the EPA compliance. There's a lot of testing that goes into trying to make a formula that works while keeping in compliance with the regs. Add in the massive cost for polution controls and it's pretty easy to see how that stuff is costing a fortune. That $50 can of paint probably has about $3 of materials! If somebody else could come up with a workable solution for half the cost, they'd be on it in a flash. Going green has real costs.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
the small marine supply stores are in a real bind. Places like Defender can under price them, add in the slowing economy and there will be loss of local suppliers. Then we'll be screwed as there will be no local place to go for the odds and ends you want right now, like some SS bolts or a 3' piece of hose or some lines. Imagine having to order that stuff off the internet.

And I'm guilty too. It's just too tempting to pay half price over the local supplier.

As for prices generally; I'm sometimes amazed at the high price of some things and the low price of others. Look at electronics. You get a pretty incredeble piece of equipment for $200.

I suspect a lot of the price of paint is the EPA compliance. There's a lot of testing that goes into trying to make a formula that works while keeping in compliance with the regs. Add in the massive cost for polution controls and it's pretty easy to see how that stuff is costing a fortune. That $50 can of paint probably has about $3 of materials! If somebody else could come up with a workable solution for half the cost, they'd be on it in a flash. Going green has real costs.
Actually, the can is almost two bucks on the gallon size, and about a buck on the quart size... if they're metal cans... my family owned a paint store, which I worked in for many years... :)

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
IF I just had that answer for my 6th grade science teacher. That would have made her head spin. Thanks. KS

P,S, If you ever run into Kansas (Big) Ed Beckley from Dodge City tell him I said hello.
Dodge? not likely. I live about 20 minutes down I-35 from KC. Dodge is Waaayyy out there in the middle of nowhere. There's not a puddle big enough in Dodge to sail is there?

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Ever bought a cartridge for an inkjet printer? The ink runs $3000-4000 per gallon, making it among the most expensive liquids on the planet.

Bottom paint at $50/gallon? You bet the paint companies are jealous of HP, Epson, and Canon!

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I have become a lousy customer, now I really do walk into a store, look at stuff, then turn right around and buy it from the manufacturer or somewhere else. Yes, I know, it's a terrible thing to do, but it actually wasn't something I started doing to get a better price - it was something I started to get better STUFF. It seems like when you go into some of these stores they are selling the cheapest piece of garbage they can get away with putting a sticker on at a price that is way too high for what it is. I don't mind paying their price, I just want good stuff when I do pay it, so I end up figuring out basically what I want at the store then buying the good version of it from the manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts