SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just go through flipping the pages and scanning about 39 back issues of "Small Boat Journal" starting with their first issue in 1979.

I was amazed at how many companies are still around. West System, Port-a-Boat, Condon's, Mad River, Honda Generators, Yanmar and many others.

The articles were very much the same. How to rig, rebuild outboard, fight rot.

Today's mags have more pages on electronics. About all my old magazine had were a vhf radio.

The had a hand held radar unit with no screen. It just emitted a tone when you pointed it at something. Very quaint.

At least I have a shelf I've cleared off. Now I just need to find someone to pass the old magazines down to.
I'll probably just list them on Craig s list, maybe someone else will enjoy them too.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet the sizes of boats in the 1979 mag would look quaintly small too!
In general that would be true but this magazine specializes in small boats so then and now they are all small.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Recycle bin . Once you get rid of all that stuff you will be a new davidpm .
You have no idea how many boating magazines and books I have.

If I have to throw them out I will but I've usually found some fellow dreamer to pass them on to in the past.

·
bell ringer
5,561 Posts
interesting that a pak rat type who can't throw away 20 year old magazines is planning to live on a BOAT:laugher

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
I don't know about others but I have found my magazine subscriptions lasting about 10-12 years. After that period, magazines seem to start "recycling" prior articles, either their own or those of other publishers, updated only by paraphrasing and perhaps somewhat different illustrations. Subjects covered also become pretty repetitious--perhaps because of the tenure and predilections of editors.

FWIW I have a "scrap book" with copies of articles of particular interest to me that I have collected over the years--first tearing out the article pages and slipping them in plastic page folders; then xeroxing when copy machines became commonplace; and, more recently by scanning on our desktop printer/scanner. No need for the original magazines, 40% to 50% of which are naught but advertising. They're just food for bookworms and/or door stops...

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and, more recently by scanning on our desktop printer/scanner. No need for the original magazines, 40% to 50% of which are naught but advertising. They're just food for bookworms and/or door stops...
I just snapped a picture of interesting pages with my phone.

In a couple years maybe we just have to blink at the page.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.