SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Senior Citizen
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rolled one coat of VC 17 on the bottom of my Mirage 24 today over VC 17 with a foam applicator. One of the painters at my boatyard who said he does most of the VC 17 applications for customers can cover a 32 footer with 1 and one-half cans. One can is .75 quarts. I used almost 1.5 quarts on my 24 footer. I did thin the paint with 216 solvent (xylene) as suggested by the painter and guessed at the 15 percent maximum dilution as specified by Interlux. I know I did not have to thin the paint but chose to because The old VC was still in pretty good shape. I tried to work fast as I was concerned about the paint drying in my little tupperware box. 216 solvent speeds drying. Paint drying in the box was not a problem at all. Even in the sunshine. I surprised myself at how thin VC can be spread. I levels itself very well even in areas where I could tell it was on too thick.

Question: What other solvents can be used to stretch VC 17 and what's the trick to get good coverage without voids in the application?
-CH

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you are covered and satisfied, then just be happy. In my case I have covered a 34' wing keel easily with two cans of VC. I do not thin it, even in April around Lake Michigan. Every other year I do waterline down 3', plus rudder, and any thin spots on leading edges of the boat with one quart. If you are well covered this year you will have less to do next year or the year after.
There is a special VC 17 thinner, but I have never used it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts