·
Registered
22,112 Posts
Seems this is a pod of racist Orcas.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Covid19, Murder Hornets, 5 Atlantic storms at the same time, now killer whales.

I guess that i would start counter measures by pumping out the holding tank. Partial deployment of the anchor next?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Cherry bombs, miniature depth charges.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cherry bombs, miniature depth charges.
Yes, and end up accidentally sinking your boat and swimming with the orcas :D
Prevention might be better than cure in this matter, I'd suggest. We need to know why are attacking yachts in the first place - the collisions with keels and rudders can't exactly be pain-free for them either.

·
Master Mariner
8,539 Posts
Yes, and end up accidentally sinking your boat and swimming with the orcas :D
Prevention might be better than cure in this matter, I'd suggest. We need to know why are attacking yachts in the first place - the collisions with keels and rudders can't exactly be pain-free for them either.
We used to use specially designed 'cherry bombs' to chase the seals away from our salmon when commercial fishing off the left coast. Never once heard of one sinking a boat. lol

·
Old soul
4,638 Posts
It's pretty amazing. The story I read only cites examples of sailboats being attacked or harassed. Why? Because we're slower? More annoying to the whales?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Propellers cut through blubber. What happens when the partially deployed anchor snags a whale, eher? Not a good way to land steaks. We had Pilot whales follow the boat one night off Newfoundland, mid-Atlantic. One kept snoring about 5' behind our taffrail for hours. Couldn't see it (or the mast) because of the fog.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I wonder if the story is real. I know everyone's sort of angry recently, maybe the orca's are too. Perhaps they are subscribing to some sort of sailors conspiracy theory but I don't know how they could spread such a rumor without the help social media :).

Out fishing we've found ourselves accidentally centered in a humpback bubble feed. We were drifting, they came to us. I mean the ring of bubbles encircled the boat. We stayed out of gear and trusted their judgement. The whales came up as usual, mouths agape, within an arms length of either side of the boat. Never touched us.

I've know of boats that were bumped when this happened. The common thread was they did not have an engine idling. Commonly held theory amongst the offshore fisherman in my neighborhood is it's better to be idling if this happens, they are great at acoustic location, and water full of froth, algae and bait may not be easy to see in.

Another time we had dolphins pushing up sand eels as feed. They used the boat like a pick, pushing the bait up against the boat. Again, never bumped.

Honestly, I think they are smarter than us.

Especially lately :).

·
Master Mariner
8,539 Posts
I've had a few encounters with marine mammals over my career. Even had the calf and huge mommy Humpie on alternate sides of the boat. Orcas just inches away and a pilot whale stick his/her dorsal fin above the front wing on our tri so we could pet it, yet never once has any marine mammal shown any aggression toward us.
Ran into a sleeping whale between SF and Hawaii at about 7 knots on a 49 foot wooden boat, so I'd guess it had to hurt some, but no retaliation at all.
The only story of a sailboat sunk be a whale that I believe as told, is by a young man in a 30ish foot boat off Ecuador who sailed up on a sleeping whale's back,
and startled, it violently lifted up its tail and broke his boat unintentionally. Sadly, he was only a few miles offshore and was rescued almost immediately, so he couldn't even write a book about his experience. He did have some problems getting a new passport and money as he'd lost everything, including his wallet.

Reactions: capecodda

·
Old soul
4,638 Posts
I've had humpbacks swim so close to us at anchor that I could smell their breath. Circled around us a few times so close they were rocking our 15-ton boat. I trusted that they could see our anchor chain. Nothing happened but a wonderful close encounter.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Be great if one could teach an orca to fetch the boat off a mooring. Won't have to row out to it.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Be great if one could teach an orca to fetch the boat off a mooring. Won't have to row out to it.
They have done this.. but they're not real clear on bringing the boat to the owner.

Frankly, I don't think they like sailboats.

ETA - Sorry that I didn't see jephotog's post above.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,687 Posts
Anyone else been to the 'whale petting zoo' in Baja? It is a pretty awesome experience.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts