SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,381 Posts
Perhaps, if SNSM were to inform the owners and masters of those yachts in excess of something around 30 meters, that in the future they would need to call a commercial towboat, these owners might realize what they were losing, even if it was too late. It might get the smaller boats to begin contributing as they are less likely to be able to afford a commercial towboat. Continue with lifesaving operations for all, but stop saving these thankless owners and masters thousands of Euros for a tow. Commercial tows (we're not talking Sea Tow here) are very expensive.

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
In both Canada and the US, lifeboat crews of critical stations are fairly well paid professionals. The salaries of the crew and the boats are paid for with tax dollars. Surely the government of France has a way of dealing with this shortage, if it really is a critical lifeboat station?

·
Master Mariner
8,381 Posts
In both Canada and the US, lifeboat crews of critical stations are fairly well paid professionals. The salaries of the crew and the boats are paid for with tax dollars. Surely the government of France has a way of dealing with this shortage, if it really is a critical lifeboat station?
From what I've read, the lifeboat crews in the UK are also voluntary organizations, so perhaps this is a European thing. Maybe this is more like the Power squadron than the British lifeboat societies because I'm sure the French military does do SAR stuff.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I don't know about France. But lifeboat service in the United Kingdom is provided not by government, but by the RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution): "a charity which relies on donations from the public. Since it was established in 1824, the RNLI is estimated to have saved c.140,000 lives. It employs some crew members but most, 40,000 in total, are volunteers who leave their work, families or beds whenever their lifeboat is needed."

add: I did a little research. Apparently, lifeboat service in France is also provided by a volunteer organization, the Société Nationale de Sauvetage en Mer. According to Wikipedia, "65% of funding comes from the private sector (donations, bequests and sponsorship) and 35% comes from the national government, the regions, the départements and the local communities."

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If its a private charity then ask the Marina's to build in support to the docking fees or turn it over to private enterprise. Why is a Volunteer Non-Profit Lifeboat Service spending so much on TugBoats anyway. Wouldn't they save more lives with smaller, faster and much cheaper rescue boats?

Besides why are they not just transferring one of their other 149 rescue boats over to assist. They also have quite a large paid staff for a Volunteer Non-Profit with 1,200 on the payroll and 5,800 volunteers which comes out to around 1 paid staff member to every 4.8 volunteers which is a bit heavier than the expected 20 to 50 volunteers per paid staff member. Perhaps the president of the Société Nationale de Sauvetage en Mer, Xavier de la Gorce, also needs an audit to see why with over 20 million euros in their annual budget they were not able to set aside the funds to get a new or used rescue boat to replace the 30 year old one.

Am I off in wondering why a lifeboat charity is appearing to be spending so much on tugs capable of towing the mega yachts of the ultra wealthy instead of staying more focused on the task of saving lives?

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,500 Posts
Am I off in wondering why a lifeboat charity is appearing to be spending so much on tugs capable of towing the mega yachts of the ultra wealthy instead of staying more focused on the task of saving lives?
The story is ridiculous. They could easily solve the budget problem, by not towing the boat until they gave up all the $50,000 bottles of Cristal onboard first. I am with you Seastar, with all that money floating around this coast this service should not be volunteer and the funds to support good equipment should be provided by the marinas and whoever else profits from the megayachts visiting. I seem to recall paying a peso to walk down a dock in Mexico to get on a charter boat. They could start a dock tax based on dinghy size or start a Tow Boat FR.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
The French Société Nationale de Sauvetage en Mer (SNSM) Charges for call outs!

I was charged US$2,000 for a 5 mile tow last year when the engine spat the dummy off a dangerous lee shore and I didn't know the harbour to sail into.

$2,000!!!

And the have the AUDACITY to ask for gifts?

They can shove it up their French clacker!

BTW Insurance paid it without excess payment by me. Pantanious is good.

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
436 Posts
After having been involved in fundraising in one way or another..there are much better ways to raise money than the "beg letter"..those have a terrible rate of return, and I imagine that the rich boat owners have secretaries that dumped the letter in the old trash can from the get-go. Charge something like an airport tax..you come in, and get charged...just on a sliding scale per foot or something like that.

The 50,000 per bottle of Cristal seems even a big over-rated...the most expensive one I found is Cristal Brut 1990 “Methuselah”
US $17,625. Otherwise the bottles tend to run from $150 to $400 per bottle...

A sad excuse for a story, I hope they get their fundraising..but this story doesn't help.

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
I agree tthat RIBs are often the best tool for the job, but they say they want an all weather boat, and you dont get much of an all weather tug for 1.2 million Euros. I am guessing that represents about a 40-50 ft boat. All weather life boats dont come cheap.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The French Société Nationale de Sauvetage en Mer (SNSM) Charges for call outs!

I was charged US$2,000 for a 5 mile tow last year when the engine spat the dummy off a dangerous lee shore and I didn't know the harbour to sail into.

$2,000!!!

And the have the AUDACITY to ask for gifts?

They can shove it up their French clacker!

BTW Insurance paid it without excess payment by me. Pantanious is good.
Perhaps they have a different view of what a Non-Profit Volunteer Organization is over there.

Sounds more like a shady and poorly run big business trying to maximize their profits by shrouding themselves behind the Non-Profit Facade. 1,200 paid employees to support 140 boats and a few hundred Jet Skis is a bit extreme. With 5,800 volunteers what do all those paid staffers do? Sounds like somebody is milking this cow for all the profit they can squeeze out of it or a bunch of complete idiots is running things. Cleaning house of 2/3 the paid staff would probably be a good start for turning this thing around if it is indeed a Volunteer Non-Profit Organization.

The folks they have been asking for handouts from may have similarly gotten too many of those $X,000 charges to take them seriously when they ask them for donations.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I agree tthat RIBs are often the best tool for the job, but they say they want an all weather boat, and you dont get much of an all weather tug for 1.2 million Euros. I am guessing that represents about a 40-50 ft boat. All weather life boats dont come cheap.
An all weather boat to save lives is a bit different than an all weather boat to tow mega yachts. The reveal of how much this "Charity" charges for a short tow of a much smaller boat was an eye opener and says a lot. One has to wonder what they do with the 20 Million Euros they get every year? How much of that gets milked off under Administrative Fees?

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Interesting to see how quickly the narrative morphed from how chintzy the yacht owners are to what greedy scum the lifeboat volunteers are...

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
An all weather boat to save lives is a bit different than an all weather boat to tow mega yachts. The reveal of how much this "Charity" charges for a short tow of a much smaller boat was an eye opener and says a lot. One has to wonder what they do with the 20 Million Euros they get every year? How much of that gets milked off under Administrative Fees?
I agree, it sounds like a really big organisation. It outnumbers the Canadian Coast Guard, which not only runs the countries life boat program, but also Ice Breakers, Science Ships, Fisheries Enforcement, Maritime Security, MCTS and navigational aids programs and vessels for one of the longest coast lines in the world.

My only point was, you are not building an all weather mega yacht tug for 1.2 million. For 1.2 million you get an all weather life boat that would be suitable for towing Sea Life or most Sail Netters boats (apparently at the cost of about 1000 bucks an hour).

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
If I knew what the price was going to be before I agreed for them to come out I would have attempted to sail in.
Not to tell someone up-front is pretty low.

I think most of the crew were volunteers, I think the skipper looked paid.

I am sure none got a 'cut' of the money.

I am not having a go at the volunteers. They're doing the right thing. It's the Organisation that I'm grumbling about.

Also, I fully intended to make a donation and I was calculating a figure about US$400. I wasn't going to leave a volunteer organisation in the Red because of me!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If I knew what the price was going to be before I agreed for them to come out I would have attempted to sail in.

I am not having a go at the volunteers. They're doing the right thing. It's the Organisation that I'm grumbling about.

Also, I fully intended to make a donation and I was calculating a figure about US$400. I wasn't going to leave a volunteer organisation in the Red because of me!
Yes they appear to have a "Paid Management" issue. Corporate waste can be a big problem in volunteer organizations as the management arm if not kept under close scrutiny can suck up too much of whats donated and drive up costs 1000% so that only a small part of whats donated actually goes towards the cause.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Interesting to see how quickly the narrative morphed from how chintzy the yacht owners are to what greedy scum the lifeboat volunteers are...
If you smell a rat you have to call it out. Something is afoul here and its appearing that some of the disgrace falls on how this "Charitable/Non-Profit" is being managed by the "Paid Staff", nobody said anything against the volunteers.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts

If you'd have tried sailing in had you known what the tow would cost, you apparently didn't think you and your boat were in serious jeapordy - and probably shouldn't have been bothering a lifeboat organization for a tow to begin with. Their mission is to save lives, not to save you inconvenience.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts