SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
So the Coast Guard had to send a Herc, then a cutter, plus diverts the OSG ship for an AMVER mission, and their (seaworthy??) boat gets a tow in? Not a comms schedule and they keep sailing best they can?

Because of exhaustion and no other medical issues? Exhaustion is real, no doubt about it, but is there more to this story? 'Cause that's a lot of rescue craft, and crews both Coast Guard and Merchant Marine, for "I'm really tired".

Easy for me to say from a desk. That's why I'm wondering if there's more to the story.

·
Registered
712 Posts
We weren't there. They might have been physicaly not bad, but the mental state at absolute physical exhaustion takes a trained, seasoned, STRONG person to keep intact. I've been there. Had it not been for the training I received in the military, my tale may have turned out different (and I wasn't even 100+ miles offshore).

Thanks CG!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think this is a valid point and one which is often not discussed. It is not enough to just prepare the boat for offshore but the crew must be mentally prepared as well. I think this is a major cause of abandonments. In my mind it it was a factor in the RH saga and many other stories I read about. Too many set off thinking they have the right boat but never having the right mind set.

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
Ain't it great? The get out of trouble free card, for exhaustion and seasickness? Next time I run low on grog on a day sail, I'm going to cash in my card. Maybe they'll drop me a keg of ale, along with the token gas driven pump and those kapok PFD's.
I don't know about a level of training, but some basic common sense should be a must for any sailor.

Reactions: killarney_sailor

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Folks who are prone to seasickness know it. Folks who are not also know it.

So if you know that you are, going to sea in potentially poor weather without adequate seasickness remedies is just ever so slightly silly. I get it that remedies are not 100% effective but they're effective enough to allow the user to cope.

But to be fair CG were also a little silly - 130nm from the nearest land and tired and seasick and we send a Hercules??? What danger were they in, one wonders. And what possible good could a Hercules do? Except maybe dropping them a packet of seasick tablets :confused: And as another post noted, heaving the boat too would have allowed the "mariners" to rest adequately as well. Perhaps a little advice over the radio would have had a better outcome.

The weather couldn't have been that bad if CG were prepared to tow the vessel 130nm.

If I were an American taxpayer, I would be more critical but sick, tired people are not renowned for the finest decision-making . . . . but I guess you have to have been there.

I honestly believe that organisations like CG do this stuff as a training exercise because there are no real emergencies and they have the budget anyhow. But one could get really pi$$ed if your boat was on fire and the CG resources were all busy dealing with a seasick sailor.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Since when has CG become TowBoat US? I have never heard of them.towing a vessel, especially that far. Why sis they tow it and not leave it out there? I can see picking up the people as thier mission is to save lives, not property. I wonder who they were to get such treatment.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
I honestly believe that organisations like CG do this stuff as a training exercise because there are no real emergencies and they have the budget anyhow. But one could get really pi$$ed if your boat was on fire and the CG resources were all busy dealing with a seasick sailor.
I agree that they need training on a continuing basis. I for one would not want our coast guard guys and gals out there at all if we were not willing to provide them with the resources to train. But im sure were going to get 1000 or so posts about how our tax money is being spent and bla bla bla into infinity.
I am also glad that the coast guard was willing to tow the thing back and protect the environment from further damage.

Good work Coast Guard

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
Well Charleston is not far from where I am at anchor ........ I am a bit peckish....... ya think they would fly out a pizza. Double pepperoni and no anchovy would be just right

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Sometimes the Coast Guard will use a "marginal" SAR call as training, or underway hours for flight crews wanting to stay current but crimped by limitations on funds for such training, which happens from time to time. Better readiness results, but yes it costs money, all training does.

And I suspect the tow was handed off to a commercial tow op closer to shore? Towing practice is good practice, too, if it isn't keeping you from another call.

Not implying that was part of the calculus here, or it was. The RCC controllers are pretty savvy. And diverting to a more life-critical case is part of the mission.

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
Oi ... I am getting more hungry by the minute ......do the CG do takeouts or not ??

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It's fairly clear from the blog that they are an inexperienced couple. On the one hand, good for them for getting out there. On the other, maybe they could have better prepared themselves for offshore passages.

Looks like they have been cruising since March and sailed their boat for the first time (briefly) about a month ago.

The wind, for once, was blowing in the right direction conducive to sailing. So up the sails went. Of course it was short-lived but at least we can finally say we sailed the boat.
Key West, FL | Sailing Sea Heather Blog

·
Registered
208 Posts
We all know that if something WAS more serious, and the Coast Guard DIDN'T send all those rescue boats and plane, and something bad DID happen to that crew, they'd get the media fire storm and be in deep trouble.

Better safe than sorry, especially when you have US Coast Guard's resources.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
What now I wonder ? Do they go back to sea when rested ? Is being rescued so close to shore a minor setback or time for "second thoughts"? I've seen people scared off the "sailing away" dream by extreme weather but not yet extreme fatigue.
Usually the information rescue services receive is so extremely unreliable they almost always have to send someone to evaluate the situation.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.