SailNet Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
You really are funny!!
4,781 Posts
Perhaps I am wrong about having to declare in every port (that's what a marina worker told me, btw). But I believe the story about the undeclared firearm, even though it was second-hand information.
Hi Scott, I see you and Noi are on the road (er, water) and sailing somewhere. I am following your blog to see how it all turns out. Sounds like interesting stuff!

With that said, posting second hand marina talk about Bahamian law, and posting examples like "I know a guy who knows of a guy who"... is very American and probably worth the same amount eye rolls as the American gun stuff from the international travelers around you. Seriously..

You're now breathing the rarified air out (up?) there, time to act like it! (lol, I keed, I keed... but really, marina gossip from a Bahamian dock boy? You were a journalist for god's sakes! Oh the humanity..:D).

And I am most definitely correct that this issue is primarily one for Americans. I know of three cruisers packing heat aboard and they are all Americans. Cruisers from other countries tend to roll their eyes at this behavior.
How do the international travelers know? How do you know? How does anyone even know anyone is "packing heat" in the Bahamas? What are the details about how you found out about the three chaps packing heat there where you're at? I'm genuinely curious who brought it up and how you know of three Americans carrying in the Bahamas? Do the Americans you know of packing heat there walk around like The Duke daring someone to "make their day"? Were they bragging about it during cocktail hour? Were they asked about it preemptively due to being American? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
700 Posts
OK, somebody help me out here:

In the 30 years since I first learned to shoot, I have heard and used the very common term "long gun" to describe a rifle or shotgun (as opposed to a handgun). But I have recently heard the term "long rifle" used to describe, well, a rifle. Including at least twice in this thread. Now, I STRONGLY SUSPECT that this began with the San Bernardino shootings, when I heard a couple reporters repeat the phrase "long rifle" when referring to law enforcement reports about "long guns" used in the attack. A couple of them even did so hesitantly, as if unsure they were using the right words. The erroneous phrase then appeared to spread far and wide and I have heard it many places since. The only place I had ever heard it prior was in the name of the caliber, ".22 long rifle."

Eh?

So to bring it back somewhat on topic, if one wants to carry a firearm aboard a boat, they may select either a handgun or a long gun. The long gun may be either a rifle or a shotgun, or in the case of a wooden boat, perhaps a smooth-bore muzzle loader.

·
You really are funny!!
4,781 Posts
OK, somebody help me out here:

In the 30 years since I first learned to shoot, I have heard and used the very common term "long gun" to describe a rifle or shotgun (as opposed to a handgun). But I have recently heard the term "long rifle" used to describe, well, a rifle. Including at least twice in this thread. Now, I STRONGLY SUSPECT that this began with the San Bernardino shootings, when I heard a couple reporters repeat the phrase "long rifle" when referring to law enforcement reports about "long guns" used in the attack. A couple of them even did so hesitantly, as if unsure they were using the right words. The erroneous phrase then appeared to spread far and wide and I have heard it many places since. The only place I had ever heard it prior was in the name of the caliber, ".22 long rifle."

Eh?

So to bring it back somewhat on topic, if one wants to carry a firearm aboard a boat, they may select either a handgun or a long gun. The long gun may be either a rifle or a shotgun, or in the case of a wooden boat, perhaps a smooth-bore muzzle loader.
As far as I can tell, Shotguns are for some reason still fairly acceptable, and rifles not as much. I think they distinguish between the two for that reason. It's probably the same in the Bahamas I'd imagine, since they are making the distinction as well.

·
Registered
700 Posts
As far as I can tell, Shotguns are for some reason still fairly acceptable, and rifles not as much. I think they distinguish between the two for that reason.
But the distinction between "handguns" and "long guns" makes perfect sense. The term "long rifle", on the other hand, is a useless term if it merely means "rifle".

I'm sticking with my theory that it's just misuse of the term "long gun."

I almost got punched in the face earlier this week during a long and bitter grammar argument at work (fortunately nobody was packing heat), so I'm gonna try to not go 'round and 'round on this one.

·
You really are funny!!
4,781 Posts
But the distinction between "handguns" and "long guns" makes perfect sense. The term "long rifle", on the other hand, is a useless term if it merely means "rifle".

I'm sticking with my theory that it's just misuse of the term "long gun."

I almost got punched in the face earlier this week during a long and bitter grammar argument at work (fortunately nobody was packing heat), so I'm gonna try to not go 'round and 'round on this one.
Hey, I agree with you - the terminology around firearms gets mangled consistently, a quick scan of the nightly news illustrates that. People seem to need to ascribe a specific term to all kinds of like firearms - long gun, long rifle, assault rifle, hunting rifle, shotgun, assault shot gun, etc etc.

As a certified incurable gun nut myself, I know of two types - long guns and hand guns (generally, and excluding the way more fun NFA stuff of course).

The whole thing is patently ridiculous imo. There might be an argument to make regarding shotguns vs rifles, but both are indeed long guns either way.

·
Boat Bum
446 Posts
I think the Bahamians may consider shotgun and pistols defensive weapons due to their effective range, whereas they treat rifles as offensive and thus a threat to the State.
Just a guess, I have no concrete information on this

·
You really are funny!!
4,781 Posts
I think the Bahamians may consider shotgun and pistols defensive weapons due to their effective range, whereas they treat rifles as offensive and thus a threat to the State.
Just a guess, I have no concrete information on this
Bahamian dock boy news wire?

Seriously though, that's not a bad theory at all. At least it makes sense.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Oh my god those fully automatic bullet button ghost guns with 100 bullet clips are terrifying.

What about less than lethal options? Bear spray was mentioned. I know first hand how bad that sucks and I wasn't the targeted recipient. Or maybe a cattle prod. Hit 'em as soon as they try to board and watch them flop in to the water like a flounder. Jeet Kun Do would be a great option. Nun-chucks are great close quarters weapons.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I will not enter into this fray with a bunch of people who appear to probably have never owned nor fired a quality weapon. But, I would like to throw out a couple of logic based questions.
1. If you are threatened, attacked, or merely observed by real pirates in the open sea do you think that they will:
A. Turn you in to the local authorities for possessing a weapon.
B. Allow you to keep your possessions, your boat, or your life if you tell them that you believe in following international law to a tee.
C. That they will seek easier pickings if they see you are capable and ready to defend yourself and your possessions.

Have at it.....
Well, as noted above, you can't legally have a weapon out of its locker, let alone off the boat (where the crime in Nassau is), so at least in the Bahamas, a firearm is not of much use.

There have been a few incidents of "piracy" in the southern Caribbean of late, and the pirates (who notably only robbed the boats, didn't hurt the crew) were several in number and carrying automatic weapons. Defend away.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Oh my god those fully automatic bullet button ghost guns with 100 bullet clips are terrifying.

What about less than lethal options? Bear spray was mentioned. I know first hand how bad that sucks and I wasn't the targeted recipient. Or maybe a cattle prod. Hit 'em as soon as they try to board and watch them flop in to the water like a flounder. Jeet Kun Do would be a great option. Nun-chucks are great close quarters weapons.
Nun-chucks? Cattle prods?!! I think you should spend more time thinking about what corkscrew to pack for your cruise. You'll certainly use it more often on your cruise than the nun-chucks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hi Scott, I see you and Noi are on the road (er, water) and sailing somewhere. I am following your blog to see how it all turns out. Sounds like interesting stuff!

With that said, posting second hand marina talk about Bahamian law, and posting examples like "I know a guy who knows of a guy who"... is very American and probably worth the same amount eye rolls as the American gun stuff from the international travelers around you. Seriously..

You're now breathing the rarified air out (up?) there, time to act like it! (lol, I keed, I keed... but really, marina gossip from a Bahamian dock boy? You were a journalist for god's sakes! Oh the humanity..:D).

How do the international travelers know? How do you know? How does anyone even know anyone is "packing heat" in the Bahamas? What are the details about how you found out about the three chaps packing heat there where you're at? I'm genuinely curious who brought it up and how you know of three Americans carrying in the Bahamas? Do the Americans you know of packing heat there walk around like The Duke daring someone to "make their day"? Were they bragging about it during cocktail hour? Were they asked about it preemptively due to being American? Inquiring minds want to know!
Well, I'm not exactly in full reporter mode these days. So, I am not making phone calls and fact-checking. My wifi is somewhat limited as well. I have a reasonable expectation that the locals know the law. And, actually, the scenario you present, a discussion over cocktails, is exactly how I learned one cruiser was carrying. We had drinks the other night and U.S. politics came up, with a pair of Aussies interested in talking about Trump and then guns (they had heard something about Obama's executive order). That broached the topic. The American volunteered that he had a shotgun aboard. The next day, out of curiosity, I asked the dockmaster what the law was. So, there you go.

The Aussies, btw, who bought a boat in the U.S. and sailed it over, told the story about their friend who declined to declare, was fined and briefly jailed. Again, I have no reason to doubt the story, but I did make it clear that it was second-hand, so cum grano salis. You can read about some of this on my blog.

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
.... It is perfectly possible, and reasonable, to travel while armed......
Terrific. Except the US (if you're a citizen) and the Bahamas, do you have any examples, where you didn't just hand it over, every time you presumably might need it?

·
Boat Bum
446 Posts
Ill be able to report on Cuba next winter. The Windward and Leeward Is are to far uphill for my taste

·
19,489 Posts
Ill be able to report on Cuba next winter. The Windward and Leeward Is are to far uphill for my taste
... but Oh - so rewarding once you get there!

·
Registered
74 Posts
This might be a good solution for some.

"Salt" Gun Promises Nonlethal Solution to Home Defense

Paint ball gun shooting Salt at 300 feet per second.
and refillable
Paint it bright orange.

Leaves a nice mark.
(Edit ... video deleted. Inappropriate for a sailing forum. tdw.)

If you are the squeamish type dont watch there is some blood and busted skin at the end!

But he is alive and stoped.

On a side note
Get the hell off my boat if you not invited!

Please and thank you goes a long way.

·
You really are funny!!
4,781 Posts
Well, I'm not exactly in full reporter mode these days. So, I am not making phone calls and fact-checking. My wifi is somewhat limited as well. I have a reasonable expectation that the locals know the law. And, actually, the scenario you present, a discussion over cocktails, is exactly how I learned one cruiser was carrying. We had drinks the other night and U.S. politics came up, with a pair of Aussies interested in talking about Trump and then guns (they had heard something about Obama's executive order). That broached the topic. The American volunteered that he had a shotgun aboard. The next day, out of curiosity, I asked the dockmaster what the law was. So, there you go.

The Aussies, btw, who bought a boat in the U.S. and sailed it over, told the story about their friend who declined to declare, was fined and briefly jailed. Again, I have no reason to doubt the story, but I did make it clear that it was second-hand, so cum grano salis. You can read about some of this on my blog.
Dumb of the American to say he has a firearm aboard. No one cruising should (imo) tell anyone something like that. Boat gossip travels fast, why on earth would anyone blab that they have a firearm to strangers while in a foreign land...

·
bell ringer
4,800 Posts
I've always wondered why it so important to each of the gun verse the anti-gun groups to "win" this topic. Just follow the laws of wherever you are and be done with it! If you aren't going to follow the law it means you are a criminal and should probably just shut up. Is it really any harder than this?

Reactions: RichH

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
" Just follow the laws of "
I believe Stalin would have endorsed that concept. But that Jefferson, Franklin, and even Machiavelli would have said, free men make the laws, only slaves are bound to blindly follow them.

And of course, territorial sovereignty is a whole other issue. Mr. Trump would go ballistic if a Russian surveillance aircraft flew from LA to DC, but no one seemed to think that Gary Powers and at least 50 other similar documented overflights of the USSR were somehow, less invasive.

Machiavelli would probably not be surprised to hear that five hundred years later, the same arguments and games were being played, with the same conveniently short memory spans.

·
bell ringer
4,800 Posts
I have no idea what winning argument that is suppose to mean.

PS - who the hell cares what a bunch dead guys from days long gone had to say?

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.