SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

This old mast & rivets and screws

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  tommays 
#1 ·
Well

After 28 years my mast is really needing some paint so i am glad i got and early start as it is really a lot of work removing all the hardware

The PO of the boat was a bit on the hack side so to no supprise many of the cam cleats were mounted with sheet metal screws

BUT in heating and PB blasting all the OEM 10-24 screws many did not make it and will have to be changed to 12-24 as the mast is to thin for heli-coils and some parts cant be moved

The big supprise in all this is every SS sheetmetal screw came out perfect :confused: go figure

The 3/16 SS rivets all drilled out perfect with no signs of hole dammage

#5 · (Edited)
I dont dont know of a place around here than can anodize a 35' section BUT i will look a bit and it is a bit on the wild side driving around with the 35' section on my trucks roof rack :eek: And i think it would be hard because they also sprayed the inside of the mast

The mast is kind of beat up and i feel paint will give the best looking end result IF i was buying a NEW mast it would be clear anodize for sure

I will be using perfection becasue it seems to have the best priming system and my friend did his at home last year at it has held up very good so far

1 . Vinal-Lux primewash
2. epxoy prime coat
3. perfection top coat

I also use to build and paint bicycles using the PPG version of Imron and own good SATA spraying EQU and saftey gear

I also have a indoor 60' room with a fume hood to draw the fumes out of the temp dust tent

#8 ·
The rivets worked perfect and were easy to remove they will be replaced with new rivets

A few parts that used screws will be getting rivets BUT the parts that are to thick OR the sheeve retaining plates will have to stick with screws and will go to 12-24 with tef-gel as required

#9 ·
I painted my mast with Perfection and I'm very happy with the results. 2 seasons on it so far and no dings in the paint.

Before painting the mast, I sandblasted it. It's a real PITA but I think it will help keep the paint on it longer. If you sandblast, you have to spray the vinyl-lux on within an hour after blasting. I also added flattening agent to the paint because I didn't want reflection off the mast when I'm trying to trim sails. Besides if you dull the finish on a gloss surface it will look bad, on my mast you can't tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.