SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that knows me knows that I am less partial towards IOR era boats than IMS era boats, but even for me there were some pretty neat boats designed and built in the IOR era. One of my favorite from this time was the Farr 1104, which was a decent sailing boat all around, and were a little more forgiving than some boats from that era.

So this drives me crazy. http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=1576021&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=75499&url=

This boat has been on the market for at least a year. When it first went on the market, the pictures looked great. I had referred this boat to someone who asked me about an inexpensive performance cruiser and was looking for a boat in NZ. He looked at the boat and I seem to recall he thought she looked pretty nice but saw something else he preferred.

But now a whole raft of additional pictures have been added. The boat has been allowed to sit and is a total mess. Its hard to tell from the photos whether this is only a soap and water restoration, or something more serious, but it is a shame since this used to be a nice looking boat....

Jeff

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
What the he!! happened to that boat?
Huge difference in condition between the first pictures and the subsequent pics.

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
Even if it's only soap and water, that's a lot of soap and water!

Very sad.

I hate sea birds.

Ken

·
Registered
178 Posts
We have a few like this in our marina and yes it is really sad to see. I think it was sitting way more than a year but as Zen Again said maybe it was just birds?

Brad
Lancer 36

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
What is the broker thinking? No one will buy it like that, not to mention the utter lack of details. I applaud them for trying to keep the listing honest but he could hire a kid to clean the boat for $100 and look 1000% better. They(broker and owner) are giving up thousands for the price of a good pressure washing(although I would never pressure wash a boat).

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
It's the Flemishes - if you read the dock cleat thread, you'll see that everyone agrees that they collect a lot of dirt, and this is just proof. I just didn't realize that they could also cause mold inside the boat.

·
19,489 Posts
Scary looking scenario.. and still asking $35K?? Wow. What a shame.

·
sailing soon
813 Posts
Dude, that thing looks like it got sunk and refloated, and it may have sunk in a toilet...

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Wow, that almost looks like a joke.

Faster: $35k NZ isn't quite as bad as cdn$35k or usd$35k, but it's still a lot for a ton of mold.

·
Freedom isn't free
2,949 Posts
That is just criminal... I started looking at the picts thinking, Jeff's spot on, beautiful old racer... then my heart sank. Very sad to see... but you could easily see it happening... lots of humid weather, tons of birds, and NOBODY BUT NOBODY looking at the poor thing.

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
How much time elapsed between the first and latter photos? At first I thought that's just bird poop and mold ... A pressure washer and a chlorine solution could tackle that. But in those photos you can see a lot of hardware and fasteners weeping through the deck. It seems like it would take a long time for that to happen.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
This illustrates one of the major problems with on-line listings. You never know how old the pictures of the great looking boat you find actually are.

·
sailing soon
813 Posts
How much time elapsed between the first and latter photos? At first I thought that's just bird poop and mold ... A pressure washer and a chlorine solution could tackle that. But in those photos you can see a lot of hardware and fasteners weeping through the deck. It seems like it would take a long time for that to happen.
I say it sunk, and I am not convinced that it did not sink in a toilet, but it might have only been a really nasty part of the marina.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Location probably not a help either. Unless you are a Timeruan yourself, then sailing her home up the east coast of the NZ south island could make for an interesting time.

btw .... Fast, NZ (and Australian) boats are pretty much always more expensive than North America or Europe. it's why there is such an active trade in importing boats from the US, although as the Oz dollar falls from its lofty perch of the past few years that situation may change.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 39 Posts