SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
I hate to say this, but except for a brief, bitter spot in November, it's been pretty mild in the Chesapeake region.

It's been dark and gray for sure, but above freezing nearly the entire time. My only complaint has been lack of time to sail or work on the boat.

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
Winter has been on and off since mid Nov, mostly on now. It certainly feels like it got an overall early start. It does not feel like the boat has only been out of the water for 6 weeks, if I think about it. Feels like months already. Until the holidays are over, I can usually remain distracted. Then, I have a few winter projects, which are a good way to pass some time. However, by Feb 1, I'm usually beginning to shake.

Reactions: capecodda

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
I just got back from sailing for a couple of months in Fla. I like winter, mountains, skiing, etc. Have to keep saying that every time I go out to plow or split wood:)

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
My boat is in pieces!!! I have another $1000 in projects yet to do... at least. Just ordered my new electronics package, Depth, Wind, Speed but it's from a discontinued Simrad line... the place "supposedly" has it in stock... I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

Have my port cockpit seat literally torn apart. Boy it certainly gets the adrenaline going to cut a huge hole in your boat.

Lets see on the list...
*Fix hatch slides (done)
*Fix hatch keepers (working on it)
*bottom paint keel (lifting keel, here's a link to how I did it in the pole barn)http://www.shnool.com/images/S2-7.9/2014-12-1Repairs/KeelPaint/WP_20141203_006.jpg
*regrease primaries (done)
*Sand, patch and fill bottom, and paint (started)
*Obtain, and install swim ladder (obtained, not installed yet, This is it in its new place, just have to put time in to install it) http://www.shnool.com/images/S2-7.9/2014-12-1Repairs/KeelPaint/WP_20141203_002.jpg
*rebed everything on the coach roof (half done)
*Fix the rottted core in the port seat (in progress obviously)
*repair gelcoat in various sections of the boat.
*wet sand the hull, remove all the registration stickers (new to me boat) remove the decaying pin stripes (cove stripe area), compound, polish wax hull
*replace all the halyards
*rerun the coax for the VHF to masthead
*run the cable for the new wind-speed electronics
*paint boom
*maybe paint mast (yes these were originally painted)

So that's my list, and honestly I dunno I'll have time for it all, so I am now prioritizing that list. Boats on the trailer in my pole barn, and it gets mighty cold in the winter, so I am hoping/begging for a mild winter (like 2012-2013) so that I can run my heater and get this all done.

The trailer needs 1 bearing buddy, and a simple keel support installed, and I'm good to go with it! The keel support is needed due to the steep nature of our launch ramp, it'll help allow the boat to ride up to the winch post better.
CE Smith Tongue Mount Roller 5" keel roller- 32003g | Tongue Mount Roller Assemblies | Ce Smith | TrailerPartsDepot.com

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
But, the good news is the sun is already setting later and later each day at least here on Long Island.
Technically true, but it's rising later than its setting later. Days are still getting shorter for another week or so. I know, I'm just a downer.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Technically true, but it's rising later than its setting later. Days are still getting shorter for another week or so. I know, I'm just a downer.
Yeah, I know but, it's easier to sleep later through the darkness. I'm just going to enjoy that sunset is getting later and later from here on.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,651 Posts
shortest day of year is my mommas birthday--isnt here yet.... be ready the cold monster is gonna get ye...

as you are already too old to tolerate winter, and as you are in coldville, you need to start planning your migration southward, as we old fartes cannot Do cold any more... come on down!!!

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Technically, winter hasn't even started yet....:eek:
I consider any temperature lower than my age the dead of winter. I'm sitting here in my office, dong some paperwork, and the space heater is running full blast. The temperature in the office was 63 before I turned on the heater, and damned that's cold when you're 74 years old. To combat the horrors of winter, the dreaded "S" word, I intend to drive south till my age and the temperature are equal. Marathon Key's Key Colony Beach seems just about right. I'll take a small suitcase of clothes, all my music gear, my wife and a bicycle, play lots of music, enjoy those beautiful, tropical sunsets, drink too many Margarettas, and ride the bike to the liquor store and grocery store. I'll probably stay down there till mid March, then slowly make my way north as spring approaches. The boat is sitting on the hard, covered and winterized, so there's no need for me to be here, suffering through The People's Republic of Maryland's wet, cold winter.

This is what I want to suffer through!

See ya in the Spring,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes, winter hasn't even begun yet. December 21 is the first day of winter and the only good thing about that is it's also the darkest day (winter solstice) of the year. I celebrate the fact that it only gets better from there. Colder ? yes, but longer days :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts