SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I've only ever seen one Thorneycroft diesel and it was 35 years old! The remarkably few Google entries on it say it's a 110 HP engine, which likely means a "cruise" (2,500 rpm, say) consumption of around 2 to 2.5 gallons/hr.

But a lot here would depend on sea state, hull configuration and so on. That engine is large for a sailboat. More info is needed.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Interesting stuff, Mallo. As I said, I've only ever seen one Thorneycroft diesel and it was in a steel "CN 35", a semi-custom built here in Toronto in the '70s.

I have seen a Ford Lehman diesel, however, in a 33 foot, 19,000 lb. 1964 ChrisCraft sailboat (yes, it was built like a tank!). I think that was a 75 HP model.

My motorsailor has a 52 HP Westerbeke based on the Mazda R2 block as found in several thousand Mazda B2200 light pickups. Other than going from a three blade 18 inch to a four-blade 19 inch VariProp to improve maneuvering under power and less resistance under sail, we are happy with it. I have the room to go to a bigger engine, but not the desire for reasons of fuel and the fact that making a sailboat do six knots instead of five seems a little ridiculous to me...if you're in a big hurry, don't travel by sailboat!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts