SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a Morgan 34 - Ive heard the mast step on the keel can be an issue. Looking for opinions on this mast step on the keel. Its a 1966 - so cant really tell if its decent or been replaced. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Don't know anything about the M34 step but that one looks pretty good. If it's mild steel base it hasn't corroded much at all in the area shown, The base of the mast looks pretty good as the aluminum at the base often corrodes from pooling water.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sold Morgan’s back in the day, and I don’t remember issues with the 34 (not that that means anything).. the Brewer designed 38, had some issues with the mast step on the first versions. Morgan stepped right up to the plate and Improved the design and retrofit all the previous boats of the series...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
It appears you will have many years of decent use of that particular mass step, assuming you keep the salt water out of your bilge.

When you finally decide to pull the stick, you can have somebody make you a fiberglass mess step and install in place of that one, which will fix it permanently

1 - 4 of 4 Posts