SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thoughts on natural foam vs polyurethane?

Hi folks. I've been doing some research into what foam to buy for the settee cushions and it seems like the consensus lies with 60 pound high density polyurethane... I'll need about 4" thickness for my seats and backrests.

HOWEVER........
I know much of the foam available is some sort of petroleum or oil derived product which offgasses a variety of chemicals for a long period after purchase, much of which contains flame retardants, formaldehyde, etc.. I was hoping that maybe I can find a natural alternative (which isnt too painful on the wallet) such as bamboo perhaps?

Anyone has any experience with this? I am also in Florida and although tea tree oil works relatively well to repel mold, some mold-resistant fibers which aren't treated with biocides would be great! Thanks in advance.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I used it for making cushions when I built a custom van many years ago and never experienced a problem with off gasses. All plastics produce some off gasses, however, most of them are pretty much innocuous after a brief period of time in a well ventilated setting.

Good luck,

Gary

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Just because they are natural does not mean that they are good for you . Have a friend that replaced all the bed cushions in there 40 footer with all natural foam only to find out that he was allergic to the natural materials. he now has polyurethane foam and no problems except that the outgassing will probability kill him before he's 120 year old

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used it for making cushions when I built a custom van many years ago and never experienced a problem with off gasses. All plastics produce some off gasses, however, most of them are pretty much innocuous after a brief period of time in a well ventilated setting.

Good luck,

Gary
Thanks for your opinion. I have done my research and will probably go with PU covered in a natural material, such as cotton. In reference to offgassing, most people do not notice VOCs and offgassing, but they do add up when you keep in mind everything else that is offgassing ever so slightly, and then compounding into the environment. I try to reduce that as much as possible; for that reason and because my spouse's skin doesn't handle most synthetics very well. Plus recycling PU at the end of its life is a nightmare.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just because they are natural does not mean that they are good for you . Have a friend that replaced all the bed cushions in there 40 footer with all natural foam only to find out that he was allergic to the natural materials. he now has polyurethane foam and no problems except that the outgassing will probability kill him before he's 120 year old
...and just because they are synethetic doesn't mean they are good for you either. It may have worked out for your buddy, but we prefer to do our research into more natural choices on board our boat, especially when your spouse doesn't tolerate synethics very well. Thank you for your opinion.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Cotton is good in the end of a Qtip.
You dont want much more of it on a boat.
Maybe some 50/50 clothing..sheets that will be washed.
Nothing cotton in cushions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts