SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I am looking to purchase a boat for family sailing, mainly on smallish lakes. I grew up sailing small performance boats on lakes, but need something bigger with kids. I found a nice O'Day Mariner for sale near by and am wondering if people thought this would be a good option. I like the fact that it is spacious, comfortable and stable. It would be nice to have the option of sailing it on the coast in certain circumstances, but mostly will be on lakes and reservoirs. I am worried that maybe that boat is too big for this type of sailing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a Stuart Mariner 19 for like 12 years until moving up a few years ago. This is basically the same boat as the older O’Day built boats, Stuart bout the molds when O’Day went out of business. I had the centerboard version and kept it on a trailer at a small marina next to the ramp with the mast stepped and ready to go. I taught my kids to sail on her and found it to be a great platform for family daysailing. We did do a few overnights, but it is still pretty small and not terribly comfortable to sleep on. We sailed on the Potomac River which can get a little choppy when the wind kicks up. I never felt like the Mariner couldn’t handle that level of chop. I wouldn’t take her out on the Chesapeake Bay proper, but she was safe for large rivers and lake sailing.
Terry

·
Super Moderator
4,195 Posts
Oday Mariners are nice versatile boats. Quite a few on my local lake.

I know a couple of people who use them for close in coastal sailing. Why not? Regular rules would apply. Don't take them out in weather you/they can't manage.

* some of the older ones don't have a self draining cockpit, which can be a bit of a pain, especially if you keep it in the water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts