SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
S/V Nanook
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for my first boat but am on a limited budget. I want something less than 10K that will sleep 5 and work for weekend up to 2 week long trips around the great lakes for now. I live in Sault Ste Marie so I would like to make it to Duluth, Isle Royal, and the North Shore but I would also like to make the trip south to Beaver Island and the Manitou's.

I have an opportunity to buy a 1979 S2 9.2, that appears in good condition. I am torn though between buying a cheaper boat that fits us now and then selling it later or buying something I will be able to use for my future plans.

As I mentioned in my intro post I will be taking a year off 2016/17 and want to sail from SSM out the St Lawrence, Erie, and Welland, then turn right. I want to hit the outer banks and then venture into the Caribbean. I have been told the S2 is not desirable for blue water, but how do you all feel about it for coastal cruising with a family? I realize the 9.2 will be cramped but we managed to spend a year in a 30 ft RV travelling and didn't murder each other.

I am not looking for lap of luxury but I like the teak trim in the S2. I am traveling with my wife, and 3 kids so safety and stability is key. Other than that and the 10K budget I don't have enough experience to say what I like and don't like, so any advice is welcome. Thanks

·
19,485 Posts
Agree with Paul.. Pretty good boat in that price range. Worth a good checking out.

·
S/V Nanook
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are all very close, no personal space issues. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hey,

I just don't see how a 30' boat can work for 5 people for 2 weeks.

I had a Newport 28' boat and the five of use could fit for a weekend, but no longer. The problem was when you were in 'night mode' there was NO room to move around the boat and no place to put gear. Five people for two weeks will require a goodly amount of clothes, food, drinks, and gear. I loved the Newport for a night, but longer than that and it got too difficult to move around the boat, find the gear, etc.

IMHO, for 5 people for a week or longer you would really NEED something 34'
or bigger. I don't know if you will be able to find anything decent in that size for under 10K but you can certainly look.

Good luck,
Barry

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Hey,

I just don't see how a 30' boat can work for 5 people for 2 weeks.

I had a Newport 28' boat and the five of use could fit for a weekend, but no longer. The problem was when you were in 'night mode' there was NO room to move around the boat and no place to put gear. Five people for two weeks will require a goodly amount of clothes, food, drinks, and gear. I loved the Newport for a night, but longer than that and it got too difficult to move around the boat, find the gear, etc.

IMHO, for 5 people for a week or longer you would really NEED something 34'
or bigger. I don't know if you will be able to find anything decent in that size for under 10K but you can certainly look.

Good luck,
Barry
Well for my family we would need a cruise ship and likely still throw someone overboard! :laugher

But some get along in tight spaces. If they spent a year in a 30 foot RV for a year they should be OK Though it will likely be a bit tighter. There are times where you just can't say "Stop that or I am pulling over!"

·
19,485 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if the family is as easygoing as indicated the first trip/trips or even season might be OK.. but if they all really take to it then two or ten-foot-itis will set in quickly.

The challenges of where to put gear when ALL the berths are needed for people is not a trivial one. Either the cabin sole is un-navigable with bags etc or you're throwing stuff on deck overnight - neither of which is going to work out in all conditions at all times.

But I wish them luck!.. we've been up to 40 feet and with that boat regularly cruised with 4 adults and up to 4 kids.. we've downsized now and find our 34 footer about right for the two of us...:rolleyes:

·
S/V Nanook
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The RV was a fun and enlightening experience for us. It is a bit of a moot point now though, the seller of the S2 sold it today to someone with more than i was willing to offer. Obviously wasn't meant to be. I see your point Barry, in the RV at night we took stuff out of the RV and put it in the bunks under the rig. No bueno on that with a boat. I am willing to put in some sweat equity on a bigger boat, especially because just like the RV there is no better way to learn your rig than having to wrench on it.

I have a 14, 11, and 3 y/o all accustomed to close quarters, my biggest concerns are stability and comfort, I used the sail matrix recommended above, but none of those types are available near me, can you guys recommend boats in the 33-38 ft range?

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Well it is not always just length. There are some boats, like the Buccaneer that is huge for a 30 foot-ish boat. Of course it is not known for great sailing ability or looks but they have a lot of room. Joe the Cobbler here on the forum likes his and has gone up and down the east coast. Beam can be an indicator of size as well. The Catalina 30 is quite roomy for a 30 footer and quite common. They have a large aft bunk Once you get into 37 foot or so a center cockpit can give a lot of room. The Irwin 37 for instance is big on the inside and has 2 completely separate staterooms with a roomy aft cabin some with one big double bunk, others with bunks for more people, v-birth and a decent sized salon and two heads. Talk about luxury, they are quite stable and can be found at times for good prices(low $20,000s sail-able less for not so much so). Keep in mind it is better to get as good of condition a boat as you can as refurbishing takes a lot of TIME and money. There is also a couple of bigger S2s as well.

I think for size and stability it will be hard to beat the price of an Irwin. Sturdy tanks of a boat. Some have Circumnavigated so they are capable boats.

·
S/V Nanook
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a 1983 Irwin 31 right up the road from me for 5500, the rudder post is bent it was hit by a truck while on the hard in its cradle. The owner said a new post and rudder assembly can be shipped to me for 2700, but is that a fix that I can do and be able to rely on it, or is that something too complicated. It is a wheel not a tiller so the gear and cable probably need to be replaced as well. It is a gorgeous boat for the most part, but some of the teak is worn, the stove needs replacing and one window needs a new seal. The owner has 4 kids, he said they weekend on it all around northern Lake Huron, and Lake Michigan.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hey,

I haven't really paid that much attention to the market recently but I just did a quick search on yachtworld to get some ideas. Note that in your price range there are better places to shop than yachtworld.

Here are some makes and models I would look for:

C&C (older 38, 35, 34 for models). These are usually well built boats that sail well. They are common, well known, and easy to get parts for.
1975 C&C 38 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1973 C&C MK I Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Ericson (35)

Tartan (34)
1974 Tartan 34 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Morgan Out Island

Of all those, I would recommend the Tartan or the C&C the most.

Good luck,
Barry

The RV was a fun and enlightening experience for us. It is a bit of a moot point now though, the seller of the S2 sold it today to someone with more than i was willing to offer. Obviously wasn't meant to be. I see your point Barry, in the RV at night we took stuff out of the RV and put it in the bunks under the rig. No bueno on that with a boat. I am willing to put in some sweat equity on a bigger boat, especially because just like the RV there is no better way to learn your rig than having to wrench on it.

I have a 14, 11, and 3 y/o all accustomed to close quarters, my biggest concerns are stability and comfort, I used the sail matrix recommended above, but none of those types are available near me, can you guys recommend boats in the 33-38 ft range?

·
S/V Nanook
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I was made an offer I couldn't refuse, a friend of a friend offered me a 1971 Pearson 30 that is in excellent condition, with a 2014 survey, ready to launch, with 2 mains and 3 genoa, an inflatable dinghy, 9 hp aux merc, new stove, and new bimini. For 5 grand. He is retiring to FL and already has a larger boat down there, he kept this one up here for sailing the great lakes. I think it is a good deal considering the survey has a market value of 9K on it. Winter storage is paid, and he is arranging to transfer his slip to me as well. Like I said a deal I couldn't refuse! I tried adding pictures but I don't have a photobucket account so that will have to wait.

·
19,485 Posts
Photobucket is fast, easy, free and trouble free. Once you've uploaded to there, be sure to use the IMG code link options and simply copy that, and paste directly into your post.

Congrats, sounds like a good start! awaiting pics or 'it didn't happen!' ;)

Reactions: FlightyDrifters

·
S/V Nanook
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just made the photobucket but only have 8 posts so it won't let me link yet.

·
S/V Nanook
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am over the threshold now so here are the pictures the owner gave me, I am going to see her again today and will take a few of my own:

She is currently called the Unicorn, but we will have a proper renaming ceremony to appease Neptune in the spring.

Reactions: Faster

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Just as a reference.. mileage will vary

1) Back in the 1960's, my two parents, and us 4 kids, ages 4-10 were able to weekend on our 24' Shark sailboat.. Mom an Dad slept in the cockpit, and we were down below. We were careful to go to places where the kids had "run around" time, and there were good facilities ashore

2) Back in the 1990s, My wife and I, and two kids, ages 7-9 were able to weekend on our Catalina 22, with the same considerations as described in #1

3) Back a few years ago, My wife and I and two kids, ages 13-15 were able to cruise for about a week on our Catalina 30... We were at marinas about 50% of the time. We got the kids ashore every day.

4) Our present CS 36M works pretty well for my now grown children for about a week.

Of course, we're not normal. :)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Congrats!

Welcome to the world of boat ownership. The Pearson 30 is a sweet sailing boat!

Take care and enjoy.

Barry

Well I was made an offer I couldn't refuse, a friend of a friend offered me a 1971 Pearson 30 that is in excellent condition, with a 2014 survey, ready to launch, with 2 mains and 3 genoa, an inflatable dinghy, 9 hp aux merc, new stove, and new bimini. For 5 grand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.