SailNet Community banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Lol, nice! Pretty salty there Neuman, daddy likes!

Can I offer you some constructive criticism on your blog writing?

1- Write more from Noi's perspective sometimes. We hardly ever hear from her, and what her thoughts on the whole thing are as you travel. It'd be nice if your blog had a feel of you two as a couple rather than a feel of you sneaking off to wifi on your own. It'd be nice to hear about the trials and tribulations of learning the nautical tourist lifestyle written from the perspective of the couple rather than just the captain.

2- More detail. The posts have a vague quality to them that feels kind of empty. The best sailing blogs can spin boiling a potato into an entire enchanting post.

3- Obviously, more pictures.

4- More detail and honesty about the overall endgame. Leaving it so vague is obviously safe (so if you don't make it/want to even do it after your perspective progresses, no one can judge you ala' this "forum talkers" post nonsense), but safe writing that leaves plausible deniability for you towards your readers is dull writing with a lot less to captivate the reader.

I remember from our talks while boozing it up at the marina and sneaking cigs from Arty, that your end game was the canal to the Pacific, on to Thailand, then to sell the boat and settle down there as an expat with Noi in her village. Now that is an interesting narrative, if a risky one for it's potential for failure/never happening. That, is a story worth writing about as it happens (or doesn't, whatever the case may be).

Take the risk and declare it in your writings, it'll captivate the reader much more than this aloof "meh, we're just winding out way through the Caribbean" business. I enjoy checking in on your blog, and I like to see you out there rebelling out and going for it after so many years as a desk jockey/bureaucrat employee.

Now go, and write like you mean it. I want to believe.
This is SAILnet, Christo. Not everything but. Neuman is right. You're coming across as an embittered stalker who never sailed. So harden up dude.

·
You really are funny!!
4,781 Posts
This is SAILnet, Christo. Not everything but. Neuman is right. You're coming across as an embittered stalker who never sailed. So harden up dude.
Oh put a sock in it already, everyone is well aware of your childlike need to interject yourself as the high priest of all things appropriate to your vision of whatever you think proper sailing is, whenever possible. Other opinions on the hobby may differ.

For the rest of you - sailing, like life, has more than one facet. Sailing forums should be about the free exchange and discussion of all things sailing, not just what the sailing forum police deem appropriate content.

·
3,506 Posts
Yeah, I sailed across the Pacific.....ended up in Thailad with my nubile Thai girfriend...what more do you need to know?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Lol, nice! Pretty salty there Neuman, daddy likes!

Can I offer you some constructive criticism on your blog writing?

1- Write more from Noi's perspective sometimes. We hardly ever hear from her, and what her thoughts on the whole thing are as you travel. It'd be nice if your blog had a feel of you two as a couple rather than a feel of you sneaking off to wifi on your own. It'd be nice to hear about the trials and tribulations of learning the nautical tourist lifestyle written from the perspective of the couple rather than just the captain.

2- More detail. The posts have a vague quality to them that feels kind of empty. The best sailing blogs can spin boiling a potato into an entire enchanting post.

3- Obviously, more pictures.

4- More detail and honesty about the overall endgame. Leaving it so vague is obviously safe (so if you don't make it/want to even do it after your perspective progresses, no one can judge you ala' this "forum talkers" post nonsense), but safe writing that leaves plausible deniability for you towards your readers is dull writing with a lot less to captivate the reader.

I remember from our talks while boozing it up at the marina and sneaking cigs from Arty, that your end game was the canal to the Pacific, on to Thailand, then to sell the boat and settle down there as an expat with Noi in her village. Now that is an interesting narrative, if a risky one for it's potential for failure/never happening. That, is a story worth writing about as it happens (or doesn't, whatever the case may be).

Take the risk and declare it in your writings, it'll captivate the reader much more than this aloof "meh, we're just winding out way through the Caribbean" business. I enjoy checking in on your blog, and I like to see you out there rebelling out and going for it after so many years as a desk jockey/bureaucrat employee.

Now go, and write like you mean it. I want to believe.
The blog is meant to lean toward detailing the sailing and passage-making. The more personal stuff is reserved for our Facebook page: S/V Symbiosis.

Noi has her own blog (in Thai) and she writes there. I would never presume to try to usurp her narrative voice.

The best stuff I save for my paid work. Take a look at this month's (May) issue of Cruising World, if that interests you.

The rest of your advice might be sound. I recall in your blog that when you wrote about yanking engines, filling in throughulls and trying to learn how to row your 10,000 lb. boat down the ICW, your seriousness and sincerity shone through. That's what made those posts hilarious. They provided some much needed mirth at the Table of Knowledge. Sadly, the blog disappeared from the Interwebs soon after your harrowing passage from the boatyard to the dock.

But, frankly, I'm surprised you are interested in our little project. Over the past several years, whenever I dip in to this forum, you seem to be more interested in marginal political discussions and conspiracy theories than sailing. Some things never change.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Feel free to offer up your comments/observations either here or on the blog post.
Ok, so there are talkers vs. doers. And then there are self-proclaimed members of sailing's 1% club.

As for sailing, I figure I am in at least the "1 percent" club of the world's sailors now. Few have ever seen conditions like I did, let alone endured them for so long.
Voyage Of Symbiosis: Typhoon (2005)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ok, so there are talkers vs. doers. And then there are self-proclaimed members of sailing's 1% club.

Voyage Of Symbiosis: Typhoon (2005)
It's something I wrote more than a decade ago, immediately after the fact. That seemed like a reasonable statement then. In fact, even today, at least on that one aspect, it doesn't seem far off to me.

Obviously, you read that rather long post all the way to the end. I dunno. What did you think? Does it sound like something that anything but a tiny fraction of sailors ever experience?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nice to know more about you Scott. I use cruiser's forums to often, mostly to offer advice if I feel I can help, secondly to keep up with friends. Most of this summer I will be too busy though. Got to put up a dock for my baby.

·
3,506 Posts
well you could offer advice on how to acquire a nubile Thai girlfriend; and how to make the wife OK with it ...

:laugh
el
Dude, That is ASA post graduate level tuition. My advice might give you an early demise...But then again, what goes on cruising, stays in cruising..:cut_out_animated_em

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
What forum is (or was) AS?
Anything-Sailing it was a forum that spun off of SailNet when there was some controversy here about some posts that were censored about Tartan Yachts when they were having some quality issues (I believe at least 2 boats developed severe cracks in the hulls and Tartan was at the very least dragging there feet on repairing them, and called the owners some names). Similar things happened with Ronca anchors as well. Apparently there was legal action threatened and the (former) forum owners caved very quickly and deleted several posts if not entire threads. I was fairly inactive at the time. But the stated purpose of AS was to allow free speech, was owned offshore by a former member here to give protection from any kind of lawsuits. They had a pretty good loyal crowd for a while. Then things over here seemed to become less restricted. So I suppose it served it's purpose. things kind of quieted down there and they finally pulled the plug.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts