SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This would be my first boat here are the photos I received from the seller. Let me know if anything stands out to anyone. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a picture of the keel. It's retractable. I observed rust on it. But what concerned me is it appeared to be bowed to one side, which didn't seem normal. unfortunately I can not find the photo now (of course). Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
My first boat was a Venture 2-22 (later bought by Macgregor) and the pictures you post show a lot cleaner and better condition interior and sails than what I bought. Nothing stands out to me if the price isn't outrageous.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
My venture keel was HEAVY. How on earth could it get bent??

·
Registered
174 Posts
The keel has a certain amount of room to move inside the well...check to see if it is just off to one side a bit...

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
The white-painted wood in the middle picture looks like it has gotten wet. Is this just because it's old, or is there a persistent leak? Why is what looks to be the fuse panel sitting on the table? And the thing under the boom in the 2nd picture is an orange-scented deodorizer. Is the boat stinky and mildewy?

·
Doesn't sail enough
623 Posts
Learningtosail - if you decide to take the boat, make the purchase conditional on a sea trial. You're probably skipping a professional survey, and that's reasonable (provided you do your research), but nothing proves that everything is working as it should like getting out there and trying it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi
I too have a Mac 25, your keel like mine is cast iron and it is a bit thicker at the bottom, might look bent in a photo. It weighs somewhere in the 600-650lb range, check the wire that raises and lowers the keel from the winch, also check the keel bolt and if the owner knows if or when it was replaced.
Good luck with the boat.
Anthony

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
I had a M25, It's a VW of the boating world either you love it or you hate it. The are easily modified to suit your personal needs and they retain their value (to an extant) I set mine up for sailing the Catalina channel and coastal sailing (West coast) I spent many trips to Catalina solo sailing. The boat is very easy to handle and very forgiving, tons of room in the dungeon (under the cockpit) As a beginner boat it is a start. I moved up to a Catalina 30 after a few years in the M25, I am back in a 25 but a Coronado 25 a bit heavier than the Mac. Good Luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts