SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
bell ringer
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We all know threads drift and some will say that is natural. But it isn't natural and doesn't really do it on its own, it is made to drift. It is especially not natural if the thread was asking a specific question or was technical in details. If a thread drifts off the question before it gets answered, especially right at the beginning, it really means only one thing. It means that the poster of the drift is just looking to post stuff. Maybe they are commenting with some down the road spider web comment, but it really isn't about helping answer the question. It is just about their need to post “stuff”.

Sometimes people are looking for real help in finding an answer. A drift story doesn't help with that. What it really does is now start a great growing ball of drift till within a short time the posts aren't even related to the original question or topic. It quickly then becomes a small group chatting about “whatever”.

There, this is now the perfect thread topic that can collect all drift, make people happy because they get to post something, never really lose focus of topic, and maybe save other thread so it gets a chance to he answered.

·
11,785 Posts
Sorry don’t buy it.

You could have asked for this without firing out at people. You sound frustrated. I imagine sitting on a boat quarantined adds to it.

Try your approach with your spouse or a friend , when she or they goes off a topic , and tell her to refocus and only answer what you’ve asked😀 Let me know how that works out.

I have to challenge your premise. No one just posts stuff on here. Or whatsoever spidy sense thing you mentioned. Posters I believe feel they have valuable information to give. It is almost always related to the topic. Especially in each posters mind. I think you are trying to control things. That’s pretty much impossible especially on the internet. Every forum I’ve been in has drift. If it bothers you so much You have a solution , just ignore it. Or you can leave....which I thought you did before.

It’s not like we haven’t endured times you’ve reacted sarcastically with quips, or replied with answers which have nothing to do with the original post IMHO,

Most of all Sometimes people learn from ancillary or related topics. While that may not be valuable to you it might be to others. The forum isn’t your personal playground where you set the rules.

·
bell ringer
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
People always tend to be able justify their actions.

But in the end either drift posters are just too xxxxxx to understand they aren't answering a question, or in their excitement at a chance to post something on the www just don’t care,. In the end result is the same they feel righteous and “helpful” while impeding the process.

Bet those who are most guilty will post a defensive response and provide a justification and maybe even a self righteous attack or two..

·
1968 Columbia 50
433 Posts
Don, I can totally understand where you are coming from, but thread drift is just something that happens. Now, it can be corrected usually with a post aiming to get the thread back on topic, but till then things goes sideways by human nature. Each individual person will read something, and base a response from their point of view, or may pick a phrase or thought from a previous poster and respond to that. Oftentimes I go to last page, and skip the 2-20 pages in between, cause I am not reading that many posts to get caught up first. Yes, sometimes the thread drift is in left field picking dandiloins like an 5 year old in summer baseball camp without a care in the world....until the baseball heads their way.

Now that you've read that...tell me that you're not thinking of something besides the original post...I bet half of you want to respond in a different route. It's funny how the human mind can pick things out of a paragraph, while ignoring, or dismissing others. It is not a matter of disrespect, but of individuality.

·
Old soul
4,497 Posts
Thread drift happens because we're humans (at least most of us ;)), and that's how human conversations happen. Stand around in a circle and start chatting about a topic. In a few minutes the conversation has evolved to something else. It's called being human.

Some of the time a topic comes to a natural end. Sometimes everything that can be said about a subject has already been typed, so naturally the chatter moves on ... or it dies.

Forums like this are discussion areas. They are not libraries, or databases. People come here to discuss boating related topics. This is why I am amused by people who try and control the conversation through overt demands. It demonstrates a poor understanding of human nature.

There's one easy way to keep a conversation on your track: post relevant information to that theme.

·
bell ringer
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don, I can totally understand where you are coming from, but thread drift is just something that happens. Now, it can be corrected usually with a post aiming to get the thread back on topic, but till then things goes sideways by human nature. Each individual person will read something, and base a response from their point of view, or may pick a phrase or thought from a previous poster and respond to that. Oftentimes I go to last page, and skip the 2-20 pages in between, cause I am not reading that many posts to get caught up first. Yes, sometimes the thread drift is in left field picking dandiloins like an 5 year old in summer baseball camp without a care in the world....until the baseball heads their way.

Now that you've read that...tell me that you're not thinking of something besides the original post...I bet half of you want to respond in a different route. It's funny how the human mind can pick things out of a paragraph, while ignoring, or dismissing others. It is not a matter of disrespect, but of individuality.
I thought baseball as cancelled for the year :laugh

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think Mike's response is spot-on.

A thread is a written conversation between two, or more, people. Sometimes folks comprehend what has been noted earlier in a thread, and sometimes they don't. They then respond, on what they comprehend, rightly or wrongly.

The posts that annoy me are the ones that start with 'I haven't read all of the earlier posts, but..."

I probably spend too much time on many different forums, for my different interests, and they ALL have thread drift.

Oftentimes, it's just because the conversation for the main topic in a thread has petered out. Sometimes, however, it occurs early in a thread and someone has to get the thread back on topic.

Jim

·
11,785 Posts
Mike is 100% right on😁. Controlling what comes out of others mouth is downright impossible and displays a certain arrogance in attempting to control the message. Does that remind you of a certain person?

SN is not a chat room, however is a discussion. In true discussion there is a certain respect given to others that their ideas are important and is somewhat important or they wouldn’t say them.

Again it is a certain arrogance that believes that people post here just to post and speak on things. I don’t think that’s true and saying that is disrespectful to those who post here. Flailing out calling it preaching is not right.

Many of us interact with others quite a bit in our normal lives. There is a natural give and take. There is a natural exchange of ideas. There is a “learned” socialization between people to accepts others . It comes normally to those who are around people around others constantly. It’s not far fetched to think that long termed isolation may lead to certain different behaviors.

I think in SOME situations long term cruisers, only a small segment, who remain relatively isolated ( many by choice as that’s why the choose this lifestyle) the socialization being around others gets lost. There is no practice of discourse and discussion in a different group.

Don’t infer I am saying this is the case with most long term cruisers that would misrepresent what I am saying. In this particular case demanding others accede to his way of communicating on SN is an unreasonable ask. It is however understandable and explained. The openness of the forum is what it is. We shouldn’t all have to change to his view of what “needs” to be posted. If this is the way it is on SN, then you have a choice...either get along with others the way they post...or find a forum which acts like he does.

As people at home stay isolated it may take some time to interact with many others again. That may be a byproduct of what we are going through right now.

·
Master Mariner
8,225 Posts
Maybe for some of us it's just senility or old age, for others perhaps it is just alcohol (depending on the time of day?), and still others, that devil weed.
So many excuses, so little time.

·
bell ringer
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet cruisers change out people they regularly interact with way more than most.

But far as this being/not being a chat room. Most threads here drift into being completely off topic of the title to just being between the same 10 (maybe) posters as a routine basis. The only reason someone who even click on it is if they were part of the drift.

·
Master Mariner
8,225 Posts
Or, it could be a thread that tried to anchor with a Bruce and drifted....
If you'd anchored it with a Rocna, it would be right where you left it.

·
11,785 Posts
I bet cruisers change out people they regularly interact with way more than most.

But far as this being/not being a chat room. Most threads here drift into being completely off topic of the title to just being between the same 10 (maybe) posters as a routine basis. The only reason someone who even click on it is if they were part of the drift.
Some people enjoy interaction with others. Some don’t and are either more introverted or shy away from it ( no value judgement) . Some like being in a marina because of social interaction, some think it infringes on their solitude. Solitude is important to a lot of sailors. More and more you hear that from long range or cruisers.

Entering a forum like this you shouldn’t expect interaction will be controlled by the poster. Calling out others who post because they just want to talk to hear themselves talk is kinda unaccepting of the differences people have.

Drift in threads happens. It’s part of posting on here. If you want to control what others say you can only do that by 1- control who you invite ( can’t do that on SN) 2, accepting differences in how people post, 3 - ignoring some of the posts you don’t feel Germaine, 4- leave

I promise I will try and stay on topic as much as what I see the topic is 🤓
I promise I will contribute to drift if I feel it’s helpful and germane😁
I promise I will respect others as I comment as having the right to have
An opinion different than mine 🥰
I promise to tell the truth and do as I say😄
I promise to put on ignore those who violate the respect rule as regarding
My posts ( in 11,000 posts only 3)😘
I promise to fight for the right to post without censorship from anyone
Including posters and even mods if I am posting with respect😀

I promise to put on ignore

·
bell ringer
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don L;2051669516 Bet those who are most guilty will post a defensive response and provide a justification and maybe even a self righteous attack or two..[/QUOTE said:
:devil :wink

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
That may have some merit. but more likely an effect caused by really poor political leadership .This could easily rectified by a quick dose of Javex spray up the nostrils.

·
11,785 Posts
:devil :wink
Same old same old.🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮..............
I’m drifting off to A glass of Pinot noir 🍾🍾and off to sleep😴😴😴😴😴😴
Happy distancing 😗🤧

1 - 20 of 46 Posts