SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SailAway
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Beneteau 361 which has a Teleflex single arm throttle to control both forward/reverse transmission and throttle. Photo attached. Overall it works fine except it won't hold position where I want it. I want to run the engine around 2800 rpm for cruising and the engine runs up easily but when I remove my hand from the throttle it pulls back by itself. Only seems to hold around 2000 rpm. I've tried tightening the set screw at the base of the throttle arm and this didn't do any good, still slips. Is there another adjustment I can do or replace a friction plate or something or am I stuck replacing the whole assembly?

Attachments

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
You can add a little clamp on top of the shielded part of the cable. You do it up just the right amount to add a bit of friction to the passage of the inside cable. Too much and the cable does not move freely, too little and it slips.. Just need to play with it (tightening 1/8th or a turn at a time). I have had the problem on two boats. In one case I got a special clamp (from Edson?) at great price. In the other case basically a tiny jubilee clamp for a couple of bucks at a boat store in Antigua. Both worked.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
There should be two springs on the throttle connection to the fuel injection pump. I'm guessing one may be tired or have popped off.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
My boat has the clamp to add friction, but the throttle still slips. As the engine warms up it gets enough friction to hold at 2800rpm.

I'll check to make sure that both springs are on there. Page 157-158 of the service manual explains how to inspect them. On my 2GM20F larger spring (main spring) should be 80mm long with 20mm of coils, and the smaller spring (secondary spring) should be 23mm long with 10mm of coils.

·
Banned
325 Posts
U bolt is a awesome idea. I've been rigging a piece of rope to the throttle when needing more speed. I've received a lot of great tips and tricks just by reading random post here. Hopefully pased a few along also. U bolt is added to my shopping list.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Actually what you want is a cable brake like this

TELEFLEX 044386 THROTTLE CABLE BRAKE

Note that the bolt in the picture is in backwards. The head of the bolt should contact the cable.

While cable anchor clamps will work they are harder on the cable sheath.

Brian
That looks like what I have.
I figure the idea is that the spring in/on the engine returns the engine to an idle should the throttle cable break. The friction or restriction needs to be close to the control

·
Registered
147 Posts
Actually what you want is a cable brake like this

TELEFLEX 044386 THROTTLE CABLE BRAKE

Note that the bolt in the picture is in backwards. The head of the bolt should contact the cable.

While cable anchor clamps will work they are harder on the cable sheath.

Brian
Thats what I have. Attached to the throttle cable very near my engine. Works great.

·
Large Member
299 Posts
put a u-bolt or rope wire clamp on the cable. Tighten gently until tension is sufficient.

Ha Ha, I have one of those on my throttle cable (totally rusted out though) figured that's what it was put there for but my throttle slips still. I use a 1/4" line around the binnacle that I hook over the throttle to hold it where I want. Can adjust the rpms by sliding it or hooking it lower. Hard to explain.

I guess I'll try to remove that bolt and get another. Galvanized this time though.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My throttle has been like that for years. I tied a cord to it and the other end goes thru a cam cleat on the bulkhead near it. I can set it anywhere I want. Works so well I'd completely forgotten it is a fix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts