SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

The shifter on my throttle was feeling fairly loose, so I disassembled it yesterday and found the problem. There is a rather strange looking nut that was loose and needed to be tightened. I've tightened it a fair bit by hand, but I feel like there must be some sort of custom wrench that fits the pattern. I've attached a photo illustrating this. The nut is the gray bit just inside the flange that is bolted to the wall. It threads on the darker piece just inside it. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I could get some purchase on this and torque it down.

I've also attached a photo of what the fully assembled throttle looks like (sorry for the low quality, this is all I could fine on my phone ATM.)

Attachments

·
Master Mariner
9,197 Posts
Perhaps a pair of needle nose pliers would do, sticking the points into oposite holes?
Otherwise, over the years I've had very good luck using three screwdrivers to do odd nuts. one on each side and one to turn those two as close to the nut as you can.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'm completely unfamiliar with that assembly... But I think before I went forcing bits to turn, I'd remove that locking washer and see if the assembly slides out.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
The nut looks like it is 2 way, turned both directions, not one designed to overrun just one way....ie keep from braking bones.
Im guessing there is some type of packing or sleeve behind it that allows the lever to stay set at adjustable friction.

Whatmake and year is your throttle system might be step 1

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Take good measurements, then hit a big box store
I bet you can fashion a nice wrench for that with a short section of emt conduit and a grinder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts