SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
LFC—

In theory, you shouldn't need a sealant, since the gasket should act to seal the connection. I'll be back down in the south coast area later this week, and can take a look at it for ya.... give me a shout on my cell or PM with when you'll be down there.

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
The problem I see with using 4200 or some other adhesive sealant is that they can make adjusting or removing and re-installing the piece very difficult. Also, some plastics can be attacked by the solvents used in the PU-base sealants.

The reason the fitting comes with a gasket is so that you don't have to load the hole up with sealant, which makes future maintenance and wire installation/removal almost impossible.

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
Pat—

If you're worried about the screws wicking water down below, put a tiny bit of butyl tape on them. :) However, IMHO, if they're not sitting in a puddle of water, then the risk of any significant amount of water wicking down the threads of the four tiny screws is very unlikely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.