SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Learning a bit every day
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'll share this with all of you here on the forum, it helps me to vent my anger and frustration !

Last Friday I was checking a famous auction site for bargain boat bits in preparation for the new sailing season. Saw (what is most likely) my own outboard advertised there on a 24 hour auction. I went the following morning to the marina to check on "Rockhopper". And yes, my outboard is gone ! The safety cable was cut through and the engine removed including and despite a transom lock. Following this at least another 4 outboard thefts have been identified at my marina. I've actually managed to put the winning bid on fleebay and got part of the details of the vendor (who actually hasn't got in touch with myself). Police despite temporary arrests (the seller is well known to the authorities) have not been able to find any engines. I am the only witness apart from the CCTV that was found later. My insurance will pay but I will be several hundred £ short. Obviously my premium will go up. And then there will be more time needed to run in the engine and do my mods again, my engine lift mechanism, outboard hour counter etc. Will need to fix the rest of the damage to the boat (mainly cut through ropes including rudder up and down haul). So I am pretty angry and frustrated. Reading a lot about boat alarm systems and making plans on how to protect my pride and joy better. I've also got a FB page up now where I've listed my outboard as stolen for the public as there is no such thing on social media so far here in the UK. Check out "Stolen Boat Bits" and please like the page to promote it. I don't want anybody involved in this theft to be able to know my details, though. Feel free to share the page with as many friends as possible.

Does any of you have any alarm systems on your boats, use engine trackers or anything similar ?

Here is a link to the FB page

https://www.facebook.com/StolenBoatBits

and here is a quick description of my outboard (just in case some of my fellow UK or European sailnet members see a bargain outboard advertised)

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
That sucks. One of the many reasons I left the UK, the level of crime, drinking, drug abuse and general lack of respect for people and property. Doesn't look like it got any better in the last six years either. I don't think a lock, tracker or alarm would have made any difference in your case. They saw a thousand quids worth of almost brand new motor and wanted it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sorry for your troubles.

Could you install a webcam/alarm system that would film them when they come back, and have it alert your phone? It won't stop the next theft, but with a good video setup you might help catch them. ---then nail their scruffy hides to the boat shed as a warning.

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I left Essex 2 years ago. To many thugs around the place for sure.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
My son is a cop and I have suggested that they each be issued with one clip of discretionary ammunition at the commencement of their careers.

Some of his colleagues agree. :)

In at least my case it is only 1/2 joking. The vast majority of the sort of crime the OP notes are by a tiny handful of what are known as "Prolific Offenders". The police know them all - some have been arrested dozens, even hundreds of times. A little discreet thinning of the herd would do wonders for the human genome.

·
Master Mariner
8,953 Posts
Perhaps you can just sue this criminal for the losses you incur. Since it's unlikely he'll be punished by the extremely lenient British system, at least you can recoup your losses.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
My son is a cop and I have suggested that they each be issued with one clip of discretionary ammunition at the commencement of their careers.

Some of his colleagues agree. :)

In at least my case it is only 1/2 joking. The vast majority of the sort of crime the OP notes are by a tiny handful of what are known as "Prolific Offenders". The police know them all - some have been arrested dozens, even hundreds of times. A little discreet thinning of the herd would do wonders for the human genome.
Well said, but I think Stumble would take issue with that approach, it is just "petty theft" in his mind, no big deal. :D

When we had our boat in Clipper Yacht Harbor in Sausalito, on SF Bay we often saw the hippies, who lived in junk houseboats in Richardson Bay, very slowly cruising up & down the fairways in their skiffs, "casing" the easy outboards to steal the next night. As ours was locked down in a well with a locked cover they choose to steal the easier marks first. Although outboard theft was very common there, ours were not stolen over a 10 year period.

Paul T

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I left Essex 2 years ago. To many thugs around the place for sure.
Please don't paint all of Essex with the same brush. Although I haven't lived there for thirty years, my mother still lives in an Essex village where there is almost no crime. It does seem that the East End thug mentality is slowly spreading; sorry to hear it has reached the Crouch.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
Well said, but I think Stumble would take issue with that approach, it is just "petty theft" in his mind, no big deal. :D

When we had our boat in Clipper Yacht Harbor in Sausalito, on SF Bay we often saw the hippies, who lived in junk houseboats in Richardson Bay, very slowly cruising up & down the fairways in their skiffs, "casing" the easy outboards to steal the next night. As ours was locked down in a well with a locked cover they choose to steal the easier marks first. Although outboard theft was very common there, ours were not stolen over a 10 year period.

Paul T
Those aren't hippies, they are plain old scumbag lowlifes.

Hippies aren't thieves - that would be bad Karma. ;).

Reactions: capta and Geoff54

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
I can feel for you FinallySailing.

The guy who stole my outboard, Ed ward Per si co of Riverhead NY. That's Edw ard Pers ico of Riverhead NY... he's got a plea bargain deal for a misdemeanor and 3 years of probation. That's down from the class E felony possession of stolen property over $1000. We got to watch, yes WATCH the arrest where the cops pulled my hard earned outboard out of this scumbag's trunk.

The police on the east end know his family well -- they recognized the name -- although this is the first time this particular member of that crime gang has been caught. You should hear the undercover recording when the cop called to buy my hard earned outboard from the scumbag... He sounded so convincing that the cop and I both thought that he couldn't be the guy.

I found out too late that prosecutors like to offer watered down plea deals, because it helps their statistics. This gets them a high success rate so they can move on to a better job or something. Edward Persico really out to have been taken to court for the full charge, not only for stealing the dinghy engine, but for leaving my child and I stranded on the shore on a cold, windy fall night.

For those just tuning in, there's a thread on the theft and recovery via Craigslist ad here:http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...ef-caught-fake-craigslist-ad.html#post1106932

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
528 Posts
bastards - theiving scrote

They had some eastern European gangs lifting outboards in Wells in Norfolk - the local police issued canvas covers for the outboards and asked the owners to take the cowls home

thefts stopped immediatly.

Essex Ethics are different from elsewhere - I speak as a man who spent his formative years growing up and sailing there.

Marsh pirates still stalk the marshy fringes

The Marsh Pirates of Essex « Keep Turning Left

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Those aren't hippies, they are plain old scumbag lowlifes.
You must be right, they just looked like hippies, long greasy hair & beards, & filthy clothes, with visible fumes emanating from them, closely followed by swarms of horse flies. Plus, they never smiled, hippies are always smiling, aka "stoned".

Hippies aren't thieves - that would be bad Karma. ;).
True, see above.

Paul T

·
Learning a bit every day
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bene - that is such a great story. Really made me happy !!

Heard of stories of gangs of Eastern Europeans that allegedly have been targeting marinas. When I went to some of the nearby marinas last weekend one guy there told me that he was quite sure that it will have been some foreigners again who took the engines this time. Kept my mouth shut. I am the hardworking taxpaying foreigner here, the guy who advertised the engine and was arrested is Essex through and through.

The idea with the cowling replacement cover is great. Something to look into. They are for sale here at the local marine police unit.

Looking into trackers now and also alarm systems for boats.

I will fight back !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts