1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
It seems to be common in places that get hit with more hurricanes THAT have enough space between boats ,there has been a lot written about it boatus mag

It is not done on Long Island that i have ever seen as they pack them in really tight on the hard and if there was a high enough flood on the northshore were most of the sailboats are it would be a FUBAR mess when they floated off the jackstands

·
1,000 Posts
Traveler, if you quote this post, you may copy and paste the photos onto your thread.

And yes, as I told you, in the pm, we tie the boats down everytime they are on the hard. Like I said, it's not a legal requirment, but a seamanship move. We like it, everyone does it, and the marina has special anchor points for that, built in when they make the marina.

It has been like that since I remember. Actually once the boat comes out, the yard of your choice in the marina (mine is Tuttamania, the best ever, by the way, shamless plug to my good friend Antonio), themselves do it...it reduces their liabilities also, because once the boat goes on the dry, and that little cloth thing with the yard name goes on...the boat is now under their full responsability. So they want to make sure their customer's boats don't fall off...even on a cradle like mine. Keeps the business coming. By the way, Antonio doesn't let me touch or tension those..only stuff does it.

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,039 Posts
Am looking at this thread and see Alex has the only boat with
tiedowns.Post #7

[
My boat is in northern Florida and the yard ties it down when there is a threat of a hurricane. The boat's in a metal cradle and, of course, they charge extra when they tie it down. I haven't seen the tie downs but they must be pretty substantial based on the price. :)

beneteau393 : Beneteau393 Group

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alex,
Thanks for the post hint.Am a admitted comp DUMBASS but currantly doing a 12 step program to fix that.

As i said this is something new to me as i live in the north country.
Across the pond are tiedowns the norm?I can understand the liability side of both the owner and the LANDOWNER...:D

See it as a good thing but wonder why it is not commom here.See pics of boats sitting on a cradle in gravel.....Makes me wonder what the boatowners are paying for and who is paying if the said boat goes OPSY....:)

Mark

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My boat is in northern Florida and the yard ties it down when there is a threat of a hurricane. The boat's in a metal cradle and, of course, they charge extra when they tie it down. I haven't seen the tie downs but they must be pretty substantial based on the price. :)

Ties it down to what?
Alex has ground ties coming out of the blacktop.
What does your yard have?

Wonders how deep ties are over the pond?And here?

Mark

·
1,000 Posts
I don't know what the blacktop is, but ours are on the floor, embeded in the concrete, that is maybe half foot deep, or more..not a civil engineer.

I don't know how deep they are, but I guess a foot or so deep in the concrete. All yards have them here. and it's common practice, and good professionalism.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know what the blacktop is, but ours are on the floor, embeded in the concrete, that is maybe half foot deep, or more..not a civil engineer.

I don't know how deep they are, but I guess a foot or so deep in the concrete. All yards have them here. and it's common practice, and good professionalism.
Blacktop is a oil based ground cover.
Sorry,Here as a truck driver just refer to all things as blacktop.Concrete/cement is even better.:D
Tiedowns for my PLane for down 5 feet with 1in rod.Frost thing here.How big are yours?

You say this is common?Common as in the hole Med?Your coast?How far?
Spent 2 weeks in scotland in the summer but do not recall seing this.Then again all GOOD SAILORS were in the wet:)

Mark

·
AEOLUS II
2,937 Posts
My name is WouldaShoula and I'm a dumbass.

Tieing down is always a good idea.

High winds occur everywhere in thunderstorms and boats get blown off stands all the time.

At my marina, I only have dirt and gravel to tie down to!!

We don't cotton to that fancy-schmancy paved marina yard non-sense!!

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,039 Posts
Ties it down to what?
Alex has ground ties coming out of the blacktop.
What does your yard have?

Wonders how deep ties are over the pond?And here?

Mark
I really don't know. They don't tie them down until there's a threat of a hurricane. I was home when they tied the boat down. All I got was the bill and it was substantial.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I've stored on hard in 3 different marinas and been to a few more in NGBay over the years and I've never seen or heard of any tie downs. Some are paved, some are dirt, and some are gravel.

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
This happened this time last year, the very day we brought home the SJ21 from Colorado (a white-knuckle ride in itself). The winds built all afternoon, peaking at 105 mph (a weather station ten miles north recorded 130!) Our Bucc18 pulled its lightweight stakes, jumped its wheel chocks, and flew backwards. The SJ21 and another trailer spun 90 degrees and only timely driving of T-stakes kept them from going over.

My neighbor's house under construction lost its entire second story; 2x12 beams were snapped like matchsticks & sections of sheathing were tossed over a mile into the valley. Now all the boats & trailers are heavily tied down to earth augers planted in 3' of concrete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.