SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
295 Posts
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

The method you describe is certainly the only way to do it without galling up the turnbuckles. Not just Don, but many other experts, including Toss, advocate the same (tightening the leeward turnbuckles). I think something by way of further description in the article about the Tartan must be missing.

Personally, I like to just feel, but not see, a slight easing in the tension on the leeward side in the gusts when sailing in 15 or so knots average, feel being the operative word. Tuning is way subjective. I then check with a Loos gauge back at the dock to make sure I'm within limits.

Dave Mancini
PSC34 #305 Swan

· Registered
295 Posts
Reaction score
Consider: There's got to be a way to adjust turnbuckles w/o taking all the load off them. What about the fore- and back-stays? What about when you want to un-step the mast?

Jim
You can remove some tension in the fore and back stays by setting a halyard up hard fore or aft. It's best to have both parts of the halyard led fore or aft with the tailing part led back to a winch, but you can still get some slack into a stay with one part only.

Dave Mancini
PSC34 #305 Swan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.