SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, all you guys that rolled your eyes about the newbie that doesn't know what "heeling"is, we're heading to BVI on Tuesday. Do I tip the guy who checks us out and gives the briefings? If so, how much? I don't want to be cheap but I'd like to do things right. Any other folks that I should tip?

·
Registered
23,495 Posts
I may not be doing it right, but I've never tipped the briefing guy. I'm usually a good tipper, when appropriate.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
I consider the Briefing guy is a white collar worker, no tips. Blue collar workers and laborers, YES.. If they are kind and be a good sport, I give more. :laugher

·
Master Mariner
9,004 Posts
The only person in a bare boat operation you should tip is a captain who sails with you because you can not, or choose not to take the boat without one.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Since this is about tipping, how much do you (or do you?) guys/gals tip the yard hands when blocking/hauling, etc?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also what about the guys who give a hand with the docklines when you come back into your home marina. Do the mega yachts give these guys anything?

·
Master Mariner
9,004 Posts
Since this is about tipping, how much do you (or do you?) guys/gals tip the yard hands when blocking/hauling, etc?
When it's a really good yard experience, I will buy a couple of cases of beer for the crew, Friday afternoon. I usually do not tip anybody in a large crew cash, especially individually.

·
Master Mariner
9,004 Posts
Also what about the guys who give a hand with the docklines when you come back into your home marina. Do the mega yachts give these guys anything?
When I was operating those kinds of vessels, if the service was good, we tipped very well, but you are talking about an owner with much deeper pockets than most of us on here.
On any vessel, I will always tip well at my home marina, and extravagantly if operating an owner's vessel. Nothing makes a captain look worse than not getting a good slip and service for his owner's yacht, when in the home marina.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! We get to Tortola on Tuesday, sleep aboard that night, then off we go on Wednesday for a week of nuthin but boat and babe, my babe. Can't wait.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Ok, all you guys that rolled your eyes about the newbie that doesn't know what "heeling"is, we're heading to BVI on Tuesday. Do I tip the guy who checks us out and gives the briefings? If so, how much? I don't want to be cheap but I'd like to do things right. Any other folks that I should tip?
I've never tipped a briefer.

I tip the provisioning delivery guy $5, 10, or 20 depending on how many boxes there are.

If there is a problem on the boat and the tech gets there fast and fixes things quickly I'll tip $5 in appreciation for getting us off the dock. Same if we have a problem underway and one of the mobile techs comes out.

We clean out the refrigerator of partially used food but bag up the unopened food with any unopened drinks and leave that as a "tip" for the cleaners. If we grossly overbought alcohol I can usually find an outbound charterer or a cruiser that will buy it.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
When it's a really good yard experience, I will buy a couple of cases of beer for the crew, Friday afternoon. I usually do not tip anybody in a large crew cash, especially individually.
Remind me not to haul after you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts