SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our boat is finally going back in. Do any of you tip the travel lift operator? This person has a lot of responsibility in doing it right the first time.. no second chances. Just wondering...

·
Registered
678 Posts
I always do right before he blocks it up. 50 bucks is cheap insurance and since most people don't tip them they really appreciate it and will bend over backwards helping you with any of your yard needs. T.I.P.S. to insure prompt service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We will tip the guy when our boat is safely back in the water. You know the song... Don't pay the ferry man......

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
We will tip the guy when our boat is safely back in the water. You know the song... Don't pay the ferry man......
Well the only thing is that if they do not know it is coming then you don't gain anything. If you have tipped them in the past then they would expect it and do perhaps a better job, or get you ahead in the line. I think the fear of insurance claims is likely to insure a safe splash though. Not that I am opposed to tipping, many places around here the lift operator is the owner (as in small marinas) and I think they may actually be insulted by a tip. So be sure to know who he is first!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I worked in yards in high school and college. Someone appreciating my efforts was always nice.
We wet store and do short hauls every 3 years for new paint.
I'm always present when the boat is in the lift. I ask the guy that will be running the lift what beer he likes and have a 24 pack sitting on the hood of my truck at haul out and at launch. Goes a long way. Never had a problem getting splashed when I wanted including on a Sunday.
Jim

·
Registered
845 Posts
Not that I am opposed to tipping, many places around here the lift operator is the owner (as in small marinas) and I think they may actually be insulted by a tip. So be sure to know who he is first!
Ditto
(one manager i use gets squat/notta. He's a d**k.)

I usually leave a drink (beer) of choose.

I treat the guys on the canal good as well. leave them beer as well. They have actually gone forward to open locks for me so i can get to where i'm spending the night. (Most of the lock operators know me be now, i ferry a few boats)

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
Ditto
(one manager i use gets squat/notta. He's a d**k.)

I usually leave a drink (beer) of choose.

I treat the guys on the canal good as well. leave them beer as well. They have actually gone forward to open locks for me so i can get to where i'm spending the night. (Most of the lock operators know me be now, i ferry a few boats)
Well I suppose the manager should get the empties. He can at least cash them in for $.05!

I have found beer to be an excellent tip medium. As long as they are of age. I have worked for tips (actually my highest paying job per hour was tips in a Mobil 5 star restaurant) and generally over tip when I can afford it and feel it was good service. Food also works well, especially pizza and homemade cookies. Not sure why a $10 pizza seems to be more effective than a $10 bill but it often is. Same with beer, they really seem to appreciate it more than the $10 bucks cash.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yes I do. I used to do the beer thing, but don't think it's PC these to encourage the possibility of drinking at work or even if they were to be found with it on the premises. And cash lets them buy what they want. I hope they buy a nice lunch or two for the two of them.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I try to spring for a dozen doughnuts and leave the box open to everyone there. It's what America runs on!

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Never heard of this my self. But I use a port operator. not sure tipping would be appropriate for a government worker! Many times they can not except it. Private operation maybe, public, doubt it.

But then, I live in an area that does not have winter living on the hard, spring in the water, so maybe this is not done here vs there.......or I am out of it!

Marty

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Not that I am opposed to tipping, many places around here the lift operator is the owner (as in small marinas) and I think they may actually be insulted by a tip. So be sure to know who he is first!
We are one of those places. We own a marina/boatyard in NOLA out on Lake St Catherine, and though we don't expect tips because we try do the best we can every time, sometimes we get tips other than money. Stone crab claws from crab fishermen, homemade spring rolls from Vietnamese shrimpers, or fresh fish from the fishing guys, I have gotten beer from a few sailors which are all appreciated. Though I don't think it is insulting for a tip/gift, I do however find it a bit insulting when I get slipped money before I do anything as if I work half ass and now I'll work better.. Just a first hand POV.

Yes I do. I used to do the beer thing, but don't think it's PC these to encourage the possibility of drinking at work or even if they were to be found with it on the premises. And cash lets them buy what they want. I hope they buy a nice lunch or two for the two of them.
When I have received beer at the boatyard it's understood it's not for on the job(well I have thrown one back with my dad and the client when they insist haha), it's for after work or for home. I find cash a little less thoughtful than going to actually pick something up. But I understand where you are coming from with letting them buy what they want, that is a good gesture indeed.

But again, we don't expect it nor ever have. But if I like what you have done for me at your place, gone above and beyond for me unnecessarily, you bet I'll do what I can to thank you for it! It's what makes us America as someone else said!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have been in this yard since 1970 and know the guys handling my boat. I know they appropriate the tip, and they do not expect it. I do not expect anything extra from it, only to thank them for doing a great job every year.

Thanks for your inside input boatyardboy. I was hopping we would hear from you.

Edit: Everyone's taste for beer is different, how do you know what type to get. And I am also kind of a non drinker, unless out for an occasion.

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Haha yea, I guess if you get inside info from the boss about what beer they like would help.. But I'm always under the impression that any free beer is good beer. :)

Although I do like the pizza idea haha.. I'm from Louisiana, we have a soft spot for food!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
A big box of doughnuts, cause everybody likes doughnuts.

·
3,506 Posts
We gave the yard boss 500 baht (15 bucks)to buy drinks and snacks for his crew. Great help from the staff in our 5 week project.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts