SailNet Community banner

201 - 220 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the great info. I plan on doing a quick wax for the winter, and tackle the full compound, polish, wax in the spring.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Maine

Followed instructions to the letter. Worked very well. Having water sprayer available made work and results uniform. Got comments like "did you get the boat painted". Thanks much.

Goodwinds
DaveM

·
Super Moderator
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Maine

Followed instructions to the letter. Worked very well. Having water sprayer available made work and results uniform. Got comments like "did you get the boat painted". Thanks much.

Goodwinds
DaveM
Glad it could help... Had a few folks quoted 12k+ for a paint job who got frustrated and "re-conditioned" their own gelcoat for under $350.00 including buying a new buffer.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maine, I can't thank you enough. I don't own a boat yet, but own a 38ft 5th wheel that needs TLC. Ordered a Gallon of Gel compound, Gallon of Ultra cutting creme, and a gallon of Ultra Polish. Overkill, yes, but the money i saved buying more was well worth it. Also ordered a Dewalt 849x. All i have left are pads a LSP. I know you recommend 3m's wool compound pad, but will a compound wool pad from say Meguiars or Buff and shine work? Also what color foam pad from lake country do you use for step 2 and 3? How much pressure and section passes do you usually do in a 2x2 area?
One more i promise, I live in Arizona and it gets hot here. which wax or sealant will last the longest? I heard you talk about collinite 845 and Nu finish, but out of the two, which would you use??
New to rotarys. I buff my own cars and trucks with a Griots DA. New to the whole wool pads and Gel coat thing. TIA

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ordered a Gallon of Gel compound, Gallon of Ultra cutting creme, and a gallon of Ultra Polish. Overkill, yes, but the money i saved buying more was well worth it.
Ditto

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maine Sail,

Thank you for an outstanding post to the forum that MANY people have benefited from. I just purchased a used (2007) Mariah runabout that has some chaulking of the gelcoat and have been preparing for a reconditioning based primarily on your post. I have purchased the polisher, compound, polish and wax, microfiber rags but still need to purchase the compounding pad and polishing pads.
The polisher is a 7" with a hook and loop back plate but when I ordered the 3M 05711 compounding pad, I found it was a 9" and the 3M 5725 polishing pads were 8". I see the Makita polisher is also a 7". Did you change out the backplate? I suspect the 8" polishing pad with the hook and loop backing would work well on the 7" backplate but what about the 9" compounding pad (that does not have the hook and loop backing)?

Please advise on how you used the 05711 and 05725 pads with your Makita 7" polisher. First time user of a polisher so please forgive the simple question....

LifeIsGood

·
Super Moderator
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #211 (Edited)

·
Registered
2 Posts
First, I want to thank you for the amazing write up you created on how to polish gel coat. One thing i wanted to ask you about it. On the compounding step, when you explain on what speeds, you say to start on 600rpm, then move it to 1000rpm for 35-40 sec, then 2kplus but under 3k. my question is how long do you run it on 2k plus and how much pressure for all the steps? Do you usually do 1 section pass on 600rpm, then 4 section passes on 1000rpmm, then the final section pass on 2k plus? thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
MaineSail - You da man. Just bought a boat and was looking for some advice on the buffing/waxing process. I'm going to print this out, break out the wallet (ugh) and give it a whirl - pun intended. Once again, you're a wealth of info.

·
Super Moderator
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
First, I want to thank you for the amazing write up you created on how to polish gel coat. One thing i wanted to ask you about it. On the compounding step, when you explain on what speeds, you say to start on 600rpm, then move it to 1000rpm for 35-40 sec, then 2kplus but under 3k. my question is how long do you run it on 2k plus and how much pressure for all the steps? Do you usually do 1 section pass on 600rpm, then 4 section passes on 1000rpmm, then the final section pass on 2k plus? thanks
Good quality compounds utilize a "diminishing grit" starting slow keeps it heavy and removes oxidation. Speeding it up breaks it down finer and yields a higher shine. More speed breaks it down even more.

Let the machine do the work. You will need to feel out how much time at each speed on your own for your level of oxidation. Do a couple of test squares and then you'll know. Just don't keep the pad in one spot too long or let the hull get too hot under the pad. Beyond that you really can't mess much up.

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Maine Sail and all, I'm getting ready to compound and wax and have read this original post many times through--thanks Maine Sail!

Quick question. Any tips for compounding right at the waterline? Our ablative paint is easy to pick up. And I'm concerned about putting tape over the bottom paint since we're not painting this year (not needed).

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
-J

·
Super Moderator
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Maine Sail and all, I'm getting ready to compound and wax and have read this original post many times through--thanks Maine Sail!

Quick question. Any tips for compounding right at the waterline? Our ablative paint is easy to pick up. And I'm concerned about putting tape over the bottom paint since we're not painting this year (not needed).

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
-J
Just tape it and it will be fine.. I do it all time time...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Followed the directions for the second year, great results again. This year I used the Presta Chroma as well. Thank you for the informative post!

201 - 220 of 349 Posts