SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I don't know if this in the right forum or not, but here goes. I am a long-time enjoyer of rum drinks, but my knowledge about the finer brands is pretty nil. Tequila I know, but I could use a little tutoring in the rum area.

I like the dark Whaler's Rum sold at Trader Joe's, Gosling's Gold, Pusser's, and in a pinch, Bacardi. Any other favorites out there? How about favorite drink recipes?

Thanks, hopefully this will generate some lively discussion.

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sailor Jerry's

Give Sailor Jerry's a try. It's a spiced rum like Captain Morgan, but different. Captain M has a bit of a cinnamon taste while Sailor Jerry's has a hint of black cherry. Both are nice with coke. Pusser's is my favorite sippin' rum.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Myer's Dark or Bacardi Anejo. These two are both good all around mixing Rum's. Usually I drink it in a rum and coke or in a painkiller, pinneapple juice, oj and a splash of creme of coconut. A painkiller shortcut is pinneapple-orange juice and a dollop of pina colada mix.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Santa Teresa 1796, Ron Antiguo de Solera, Hecho en Venezuela.
Aged Rum. Excelent after diner. Dont mix it, than you waste it.
It's like Cognac.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Bacardi 8 year is actually my favorite. It's oaky like a good burbon or scotch. great for sipping over ice.

Whalers is nice as well, much different flavor more vanilla definitely more sweet.

Captains and regular bacardis should only be mixed IMHO.

MedSailor

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
Its been 25 years since I was a rum drinker, but back then I sure was fond of Mount Gay. The difference to me between it and even the high end Bacardi was obvious. I admit I haven't tried many of the other hi end rums mentioned here lately, and who knows if Mount Gay is still what it was then.

michael

·
Registered
240 Posts
Mount Gay is still good. My favorite is the best rum I can get my hands on. Not a big fan of Bacardi (unless I'm mixing mass quantities), or Capt. Morgan (too sweet), or even Sailor Jerry.

I like Pussers, Cruzan, Mount Gay, Gosling's, Appleton

I don't buy the spendy ones too often, but I've had Sea Wynde Pot Still Rum and it was tasty... so is the Cruzan Estate Single Barrel; not a fan of Pyrat XO (too sweet--reminds me of SoCo)

YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
525 Posts
It is hard to find and pricey when you do, but Ron Zacapa Centenario, 23 Anos is exquisite. Get the 23 year old rather than the 15 year old. It comes from Guatemala. It is simply the best. It is not to mixed or even served over ice, but it meant to be savored neat. Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It is hard to find and pricey when you do, but Ron Zacapa Centenario, 23 Anos is exquisite. Get the 23 year old rather than the 15 year old. It comes from Guatemala. It is simply the best. It is not to mixed or even served over ice, but it meant to be savored neat. Try it, you'll like it.
I have to back this thought 100%. It's needs nothing but time to savor it's flavor.:D ........i2f

·
Registered
15 Posts
Best Rums

Best rums without any doubt are Pampero from Venezuela and Flor de Cana from Nicaragua .............. none of the competition meets the quality of these two! They are as good as any brandy for sipping ............. too good to mix in cocktails!

·
PR Sailor
118 Posts
Don Q Limon made in Puerto Rico available in the island and limited availabiity in the eastern seaboard. Very smooth on the rocks or w/coca cola........ Much better than Bacardi.

·
Re-Member
228 Posts
I have what I consider to be a funny story about Mount Gay rum.

Many years ago (25+), my wife and I and another coupled chartered a CSY44 out of Tortola. As none of us had done any real big boat ocean sailing (and not realizing how truly easy it was to do 'line of sight' navigation in the BVI), we hired a captain. We provisioned the boat with Tanqueray Gin and Cruzan Rum, but ran out of rum mid-week. We were stopping at Spanish Town on Virgin Gorda just north of The Baths and wanted to pick up more rum. I asked Capt James what he would recommend, and he says what I hear as Monkey Rum... you know, think Caribean accent and all. So I'm in the liquor store going through all the rums saying "Monkey Rum, Monkey Rum, Monkey Rum" when I finally see Mount Gay, pause, and then just start laughing out loud (which the admiral will tell you I don't laugh enough so she was shocked). I explained it to her, she laughed so hard she had tears.

I have been a Mount Gay rum drinker ever since.

·
ex-Navy
224 Posts
Always looking for the best

Best rums without any doubt are Pampero from Venezuela and Flor de Cana from Nicaragua .............. none of the competition meets the quality of these two! They are as good as any brandy for sipping ............. too good to mix in cocktails!

Any idea whether we can get these stateside? Currently I drink Barbancourt Reserve 15 years to which I add nothing. But if there's better I want top try it. Thanx for the info
:D :D

·
SailGunner
57 Posts
I have what I consider to be a funny story about Mount Gay rum.

Many years ago (25+), my wife and I and another coupled chartered a CSY44 out of Tortola. As none of us had done any real big boat ocean sailing (and not realizing how truly easy it was to do 'line of sight' navigation in the BVI), we hired a captain. We provisioned the boat with Tanqueray Gin and Cruzan Rum, but ran out of rum mid-week. We were stopping at Spanish Town on Virgin Gorda just north of The Baths and wanted to pick up more rum. I asked Capt James what he would recommend, and he says what I hear as Monkey Rum... you know, think Caribean accent and all. So I'm in the liquor store going through all the rums saying "Monkey Rum, Monkey Rum, Monkey Rum" when I finally see Mount Gay, pause, and then just start laughing out loud (which the admiral will tell you I don't laugh enough so she was shocked). I explained it to her, she laughed so hard she had tears.

I have been a Mount Gay rum drinker ever since.
Same type of story... Several years ago we started drinking Parrot Bay and orange juice. We starting referring to Parrot Bay as "Good Shxx." That's another story but not knowing any better a lady in our club only knew it as that. So she goes into a grocery store with liquor asking for Good Shxx.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts