SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I regret to tell you that I lost my ship in the Bay of Biscay. The story is told here, but the blog is in Norwegian, so it will probably not be available to most readers.

If anyone finds a used boat for sale in the Caribbian about 30 - 33 feet for the price of $10 000 - 15 000. I will be glad to be notified, so I can make a new try.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Sorry to hear that... :(

Plenty of boats in the Caribbean and USA at the moment though... so you should take a look on the web. :)

Thanks for the google translated link Tschmidty. :)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Tjaldur,

Very sorry to hear this news, but glad that you and your crew are safe.

Bay of Biscay in December can be a very nasty place to be, even when your boat is not taking on water like yours was. I'm sure the rescue crews had this in mind when they took you off the boat during the tow.

Although you could second guess yourself as to whether this was the right thing to do, most of us would probably say that you did what you had to do. Once they respond to requests for assistance, the rescuers get to decide how it will be done. So don't beat yourself up over this.

Maybe if you have a chance, you could provide a more detailed account of what went wrong, right here on Sailnet.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I waited in Arcachon, hoping that perhaps the ship would be found, I spoke with several persons about this decision. The waters are very shallow and dangerous there, so it probably was the right one. The waves at that time were 6 - 8 meters. I also read in the newspaper that since 1975, 13 fishermen had lost their lives in that area.

I am ever so slowly reconstructing my life. having landed in Norway with just my clothes and (thank heavens) my visa-card, so i will try to write an analysis of what happened and the possible reasons that may lie behind and post it on my site. Then possibly later translate it into English.

It can be difficult to know when and where a shipwreck begins. Perhaps the caulking under the waterline was not good enough? Perhaps the diesel tanks were not sufficiently cleaned etc.

·
1,000 Posts
Tjaldur, I am sorry to hear about your loss...however, Thank God you are alive, and writing this.

Material loss, with sentimental value has reapair, your life has not..

Sorry again,

Alex

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
My condolences. You'll find another boat and sail again even though Tjaldur will not. Glad you are safe.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Sorry to hear of the loss of your vessel. I have lost one too and know how it feels. If there is any good news it is that the loss will fade and life will move on.

Good luck finding your next vessel.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I am sorry you lost your vessel, but am very glad you came through the experience alive. December in those waters is no joke, from everything I've read and if there is any upside to this experience, it is that you were close enough to the shore for your rescuers to reach you quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts