SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a trailer sailor, maybe a 26ft. Mac. To go on weekend trips, or perhaps a few week long trips and maybe even a 30 day vacation outing. The wife says “I like sailing but…” Her concern is extended periods on a boat would be too much like camping i.e. when you wake up in the morning everything , including me (her) she says, is covered with dew, everything is cold and damp. And her argument is being on the water would make it even worse.
Not having actually done this yet do you guys who have similar boats find this to be a problem? Short of sealing the cabin off and hoping you don’t suck all the oxygen out of the air what can you do to prevent this? Do you just have to live with it or is it even a problem? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Dew; or cabin dampness (breath) inside the cabin like a tent really doesn't occur as bad as a tent. Unless it's cold out you would have some ports open with screens in or laid over. The Mac 26 is rather large for a 26 footer.

In the summer the heat will be pretty bad depending on where you sail.

Given the comment about your wife the 26' Mac with a 40 hp maybe a good choice. The sense of adventure is high because when she gets tired of sailing you can motor quickly to the newest stop and explore. It's a good in-land water adventure boat. Yet; sails rather poorly. Beachable and can out run bad weather to a certain extent. Light, roomy and easily trailered. I personally think it's kind of ugly, but, think it would be fun if you would like to hit alot of ports to sightsee.

Get in cheap, so if the mood changes you can bail or move into a different boat.

Hope this helps.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Smaller boats will get stuffy clammy and uncomfortable. Depending on the weather it can be pleasant or pathetic! I had a smaller (hunter 23) before I had my Oday30 it was like camping. But when I do use my larger boat It's like camping for me since I'd rather "anchor out" then tie up to have the "luxury" of a marina.

If it's summer, the sun makes a boat into an oven. If close to shore you get the bugs (and the bites). when out on the anchor the bugs are less but still can be a problem.
larger boats also get oven like when sitting in the sun,why so many people go for AC and looking for a marina for the night or length of stay in the area.

Essentially, cruising is what you make of it. large or small boat. Just like when I used to do canoe tripping in the Adirondacks We never wanted for much of anything even had our wine by the camp fire in the evenings .

Trailer sailing is ok but the set up and take down of the rig is rather time consuming.

Before you buy, consider renting or going on a larger boat as crew or friends.

·
Registered
845 Posts
What denise says....... She put it even better.

I have the big boat so the camping feeling is small if non-existent. I refer to it as the sailing RV. It has every convienence. Yet i feel trapped on Lake Ontario at times.

That being said; i have a 22' as well so i can go explore the Adiorondacks and finger lakes on the cheap. Put in at places that few others would explore. Hopefully next winter i can explore the florida keys with it. That's camping.

I feel fortunate that i live in one of the best sailing places in the states. (Summer anyways)

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Carry+Falls,+NY&ie=UTF-8&ei=2iJVU_PyMoqrsQScmoGgDg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Finger Lakes, New York | Lakes | Index

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
air movement is the key to a dry boat, put on some solar vents and louver one of the companion way drop boards. If you keep the airflow it will stay comfortable, I had a Mac-25 and a Catalina 30 and now a Coronado 25 (which needs to get vented) I plan on doing the above mentioned to my boat.

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
What denise says....... She put it even better.

I have the big boat so the camping feeling is small if non-existent. I refer to it as the sailing RV. It has every convienence. Yet i feel trapped on Lake Ontario at times.

That being said; i have a 22' as well so i can go explore the Adiorondacks and finger lakes on the cheap. Put in at places that few others would explore. Hopefully next winter i can explore the florida keys with it. That's camping.

I feel fortunate that i live in one of the best sailing places in the states. (Summer anyways)

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Carry+Falls,+NY&ie=UTF-8&ei=2iJVU_PyMoqrsQScmoGgDg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Finger Lakes, New York | Lakes | Index
Well my son is moving to the area for school, will be in Ithaca in the fall. Go big red!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts