SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I have made a minor modification to fix the silly tiller lock issue that seems to plague most of the small Tohatsu 4 strokes. (Also Murcury and Nissan)

I created a blog post about it: Tohatsu 6 Tiller Lock Fix

If you run one of these fine outboards on your sailboat or dinghy, have a look.

Eric
Yes, I have one & it does what you said. It sort of holds a course. Very nice write up on the fix. I may try it when the snow gets deep, if we get any. :D

Thanks, Paul T

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have one of the 6HP wonders and it does tend to self steer. It would just keep turning until I ran out of rudder. Very inconvenient if you need to turn the other way!

I handled this problem by putting on an adjustable tiller extension, I bought it off Craig's List for $10 and I shock corded it to the stern pulpit vertical support. This solved two problems. It now doesn't steer itself and I can adjust the throttle without having to hang over the transom.

Now, if I could just get the gear shift extended up so that I don't have to hang half out of the boat to reach the fiddly lever.

Your canvas brake friction band enhancement seems a more elegant solution though. Next time I have it off the boat, I will look at it.

Next is a tachometer/hour meter for service monitoring and so that I can tell when I have reached maximum revs, as if I couldn't tell by ear.

Have FUN!
O'

·
A perfect day!
116 Posts
Now, if I could just get the gear shift extended up so that I don't have to hang half out of the boat to reach the fiddly lever.

Have FUN!
O'
That's not a hard one to solve....I made an extended shift lever out of a wooden dowel, actually used a sawed off pool cue. Drilled a 1/4" hole, one inch from the end and slipped a 1/4" S&S hex bolt of the appropriate length from behind the shift lever, through the lever and dowel. There's a hole in the center of the shifter handle. Used a few nuts and washers to secure it. It's a little stiff but gets the job done and saves you from a cramped neck!

·
Large Member
299 Posts
Cool, thanks for the write up.

I have a 6hp Tohatsu for the dingy but the friction band works fine for now. I'll keep this bookmarked.

thanks again

·
Registered
182 Posts
That's not a hard one to solve....I made an extended shift lever out of a wooden dowel, actually used a sawed off pool cue. Drilled a 1/4" hole, one inch from the end and slipped a 1/4" S&S hex bolt of the appropriate length from behind the shift lever, through the lever and dowel. There's a hole in the center of the shifter handle. Used a few nuts and washers to secure it. It's a little stiff but gets the job done and saves you from a cramped neck!
I've seen that hole in the shift lever. I will see what I can do with it. The new ones have the shifter on the front.

Thanks!
O'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts