SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new this season Tohatsu extra-long shaft 6 HP on our Beneteau 210 Classic. It worked fine for the first several sails on 93 octane with up to 10% ethanol. I always run the motor dry by disconnecting the fuel line.

We were away from the boat for almost a month, but returned last weekend. The motor started on the second pull, and seemed to run fine. I backed out of the slip into the fairway, paused momentarily in neutral, went to forward and twisted the throttle. The motor hesitated and then died. Back into neutral, pull the cord, and it started right up. Then into forward, and away we went without a single hiccup. Coming back into the marina the engine starts right up and runs flawlessly.

Today, we go through the same routine. I back out of the slip, pause in neutral, then forward adding throttle. We go about 60 feet down the fairway and the engine sputters, I twist a little more throttle, and it dies. We coast over to a finger pier and stop. I restart the engine without any difficulty. My plan is to return to our slip and see whats up. Half way there, in forward under light throttle, the engine dies again. We coast into the slip and tie up.

I restart the engine in neutral, making sure that we have pee. We do. It revs happily, but it's not under load. I cinch up the stern line, drop the motor into neutral, and twist the throttle. Then more throttle. I switch to reverse, goose it. Back to forward, goose it again. Everything works fine under load.

So, what puzzles me is this: the motor doesn't die consistently under load; it's intermittent. When it does die, it recovers quickly (so far). This sounds like foreign bits in the fuel, or some problem in the fuel system. Before dragging the motor off the transom and hauling it into the shop (where it probably will behave fine since there is no easy way to introduce load) what should I be checking/testing?

Thanks!

[full disclosure: also posted to SA]

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I have the 8 HP 2 stroke model sounds to me that a clean and adjusting of the carb is in order also check the fuel filter I did mine and now it starts on the first pull even with no choke I don't run/drain the fuel out and have been saving the fuel I'm running now for a year just as a test and no problems yet

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I have the 8 HP 2 stroke model sounds to me that a clean and adjusting of the carb is in order also check the fuel filter I did mine and now it starts on the first pull even with no choke I don't run/drain the fuel out and have been saving the fuel I'm running now for a year just as a test and no problems yet
Agree, try the easiest things first, like the filter. Maybe, also, an air leak at the hose connectors, double check all the clamps. Maybe it isn't venting properly, try loosening the filler cap, really loose. I have the same motor new two years ago, no problems.

You might want to try running it on the integral tank. If that solved the problem, it is in the hose, or its connections. Maybe a partial obstruction of the tank pick up tube.

Maybe the low speed jet is set too lean?

Suggest you drain the carb as a small amount of fuel will stay in the bowl after "running it dry".
I drain if it is not going to be used in a week or so, no problems.

Let us know what you find

Paul T

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Man, I hate this. I've got 2 dingy outboards, I'm darn good at carburetor disassembly at this point, we should probably have a Sailnet competition to see who can do it the fastest:)

I suspect you've got a spec of something in your carburetor. In the world of ethanol, I recommend you get good at carburetor removal, cleaning, and reinstallation. It seems daunting at first, but it really isn't. Find some youtube videos, then give it a try. The jets in these small engines are so small that it takes hardly anything to block em. When you use that carb cleaner from auto world or whatever, wear eye protection as it likes to come back at you. Don't ask me how I know.

You can do this yourself in perhaps 30 mins the first time, I'm down to about 5 minutes now:D

There are many threads on this topic all over this board and others, which should give you an idea how common this problem is. And yes, it could be anything in the fuel system from hoses, connectors, tank pickup, or carburetor but most often its the carburetor cause the passages are soooo smalllll!

·
Sailor
929 Posts
I agree with capecodda. It's most likely gunk in the carberator resulting from fuel which turns into varnish. Disassembly and soaking in seafoam cleaner is the cure.

Tod

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all!

We went out to the lake last Saturday; the outboard started right up and ran fine under load in the slip. Headed out to sail for a couple hours, then dropped the sails and the motor started right up to take us into the marina. Just as we started up the fairway towards our slip the motor died. Started right up, then died again. We coasted in with a little drama but no damage.

I'm now persuaded that I have to go through the entire fuel system. I took your advice, capecodda, and watched several youtube vids. I imagined that removing, rebuilding, and reinstalling a carb would be a real PITA and had resigned myself to hauling the motor to the shop and paying several hundred dollars. Not so, I can do this. In fact, what I am going to do is buy a second carburetor, a couple of rebuild kits, and a handful of fuel filters, hoses, and those fussy little clips. Seafoam for the gas. Maybe even a spare gas tank and hose. When the motor acts up, I'll be ready to replace the whole darn fuel system if needed.

Again, thanks!

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Thanks, all!

We went out to the lake last Saturday; the outboard started right up and ran fine under load in the slip. Headed out to sail for a couple hours, then dropped the sails and the motor started right up to take us into the marina. Just as we started up the fairway towards our slip the motor died. Started right up, then died again. We coasted in with a little drama but no damage.

I'm now persuaded that I have to go through the entire fuel system. I took your advice, capecodda, and watched several youtube vids. I imagined that removing, rebuilding, and reinstalling a carb would be a real PITA and had resigned myself to hauling the motor to the shop and paying several hundred dollars. Not so, I can do this. In fact, what I am going to do is buy a second carburetor, a couple of rebuild kits, and a handful of fuel filters, hoses, and those fussy little clips. Seafoam for the gas. Maybe even a spare gas tank and hose. When the motor acts up, I'll be ready to replace the whole darn fuel system if needed.

Again, thanks!
Perhaps this might help:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/168417-fuel-ignition-problem.html

You might try using the integral tank. If it works, the supply of fuel may be the problem instead of the carburetor?

Let us know what you find.

Paul T

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Glad to hear it. You're biggest risk will be dropping something in the water if you do it in place.

FYI, most of the time I do this I don't go thru the whole process, with rebuild kit etc. Most of the time I just pull the carb, take off the bowl on the bottom, spray some carb cleaner up the jets, put it back on, and everything works.

So if it's driving you nuts, which they will, you might try this quick fix without waiting on all the parts....that's not to say doing the complete rebuild, filters and everything isn't the best way to be sure you've got it...I'm just saying that most times I just do this hack, and off it goes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might try using the integral tank. If it works, the supply of fuel may be the problem instead of the carburetor?

Let us know what you find.

Paul T
Paul, my Sailpro 6 HP doesn't have the integral tank. But I appreciate your intention - I'm thinking of having a secondary gas tank and hose.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear it. You're biggest risk will be dropping something in the water if you do it in place.

FYI, most of the time I do this I don't go thru the whole process, with rebuild kit etc. Most of the time I just pull the carb, take off the bowl on the bottom, spray some carb cleaner up the jets, put it back on, and everything works.

So if it's driving you nuts, which they will, you might try this quick fix without waiting on all the parts....that's not to say doing the complete rebuild, filters and everything isn't the best way to be sure you've got it...I'm just saying that most times I just do this hack, and off it goes.

Good luck!
Thanks - definitely worth a try!

·
19,488 Posts
When you pull the bowl off you may see what looks like a 'post' with a black rubber bung in it.. there's a jet under that too; it's given us grief before (on an older Nissan/Tohatsu 5 hp 2 cycle). Not obvious unless you remove the bung and look through it.

Cleaning/assembling these carbs is pretty simple, no need to pay anyone. We had to do it several times over the years and managed to reuse the existing gaskets etc.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Paul, my Sailpro 6 HP doesn't have the integral tank. But I appreciate your intention - I'm thinking of having a secondary gas tank and hose.

Ah, I have the 6HP Tohatsu standard shaft, just assumed the power head was the same.

Maybe try a separate tank or container directly to the inlet side of the filter before pulling the carb apart?

Paul T

Edit:

Probably be better to run the separate tank supply directly to the inlet side if the fuel pump instead of the filter unless the tank or container can be above the carb. If the same problem occurs, it is likely debris in the carb.

A second backup hose is a good idea, not sure if you need a second tank? The rubber parts are in the hose.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
The stuff on the throttle plate won't cause problems for the carb think small passages use carb cleaner and clean everything out twice hen blood it clean with carb cleaner again reassemble and run it

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Once you get it clean you many want to try some E0 gas. Some outboard repair shops sell it as do some small engine shops.
It is double the price but if you only use a couple of gal a year it is worth it.

It is often called race fuel.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
How about once you get it clean, you could use the pre-mixed shelf stuff... like this:

Gets expensive if you use gallons worth at a time of course.

Ethanol free fuel helps...

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Paul, when I pulled it off the bowl looked clean, as did the float.
Agree with Newhall. The jets are very small, there could be debris stuck that you can't see. I have cleaned out many varying types of carbs. I had one, however that after two cleanings, I could never get the engine to run spot on, had to replace it.

Spray cleaner, compressed air & careful use if thin wire will probably fix it. Let us know how it comes out.

Paul T

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
With the bowl removed, look at the thing upside down. You'll see the jets that are little tubes that go up into the carb. Get some spray cleaner with that little pipe on it, stick that little pipe right into the jet, and pull the trigger.

Wear eye protection..it has a way of coming back at you.

Make sure no debris in the bowl, reassemble and give it a try.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts