SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Banned
Reaction score
I have the 8 HP 2 stroke model sounds to me that a clean and adjusting of the carb is in order also check the fuel filter I did mine and now it starts on the first pull even with no choke I don't run/drain the fuel out and have been saving the fuel I'm running now for a year just as a test and no problems yet
Agree, try the easiest things first, like the filter. Maybe, also, an air leak at the hose connectors, double check all the clamps. Maybe it isn't venting properly, try loosening the filler cap, really loose. I have the same motor new two years ago, no problems.

You might want to try running it on the integral tank. If that solved the problem, it is in the hose, or its connections. Maybe a partial obstruction of the tank pick up tube.

Maybe the low speed jet is set too lean?

Suggest you drain the carb as a small amount of fuel will stay in the bowl after "running it dry".
I drain if it is not going to be used in a week or so, no problems.

Let us know what you find

Paul T

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, all!

We went out to the lake last Saturday; the outboard started right up and ran fine under load in the slip. Headed out to sail for a couple hours, then dropped the sails and the motor started right up to take us into the marina. Just as we started up the fairway towards our slip the motor died. Started right up, then died again. We coasted in with a little drama but no damage.

I'm now persuaded that I have to go through the entire fuel system. I took your advice, capecodda, and watched several youtube vids. I imagined that removing, rebuilding, and reinstalling a carb would be a real PITA and had resigned myself to hauling the motor to the shop and paying several hundred dollars. Not so, I can do this. In fact, what I am going to do is buy a second carburetor, a couple of rebuild kits, and a handful of fuel filters, hoses, and those fussy little clips. Seafoam for the gas. Maybe even a spare gas tank and hose. When the motor acts up, I'll be ready to replace the whole darn fuel system if needed.

Again, thanks!
Perhaps this might help:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/168417-fuel-ignition-problem.html

You might try using the integral tank. If it works, the supply of fuel may be the problem instead of the carburetor?

Let us know what you find.

Paul T

Banned
Reaction score
Paul, my Sailpro 6 HP doesn't have the integral tank. But I appreciate your intention - I'm thinking of having a secondary gas tank and hose.
Ah, I have the 6HP Tohatsu standard shaft, just assumed the power head was the same.

Maybe try a separate tank or container directly to the inlet side of the filter before pulling the carb apart?

Paul T

Edit:

Probably be better to run the separate tank supply directly to the inlet side if the fuel pump instead of the filter unless the tank or container can be above the carb. If the same problem occurs, it is likely debris in the carb.

A second backup hose is a good idea, not sure if you need a second tank? The rubber parts are in the hose.

Banned
Reaction score

Banned
Reaction score
Paul, when I pulled it off the bowl looked clean, as did the float.
Agree with Newhall. The jets are very small, there could be debris stuck that you can't see. I have cleaned out many varying types of carbs. I had one, however that after two cleanings, I could never get the engine to run spot on, had to replace it.

Spray cleaner, compressed air & careful use if thin wire will probably fix it. Let us know how it comes out.

Paul T

Banned
Reaction score
Suggest you take anything apart that will come apart & place on a big clean towel, in order of dis-assembly, "up" side up. Reverse for assembly. The "spots" may have been caused by evaporating gas, over time. I have the same basic motor, going on three years but haven't had any problems, after draining after just about every user & using an additive.

So, have not yet became "up close & personal" with this carb, yet. :D

Paul T

Banned
Reaction score
That doesn't change the fact that it can ruin your outboard.There are some additives that will help but not eliminate the problem. I suspect that this is your cause for issues. This information is a little dated but it provides the basic info, Why higher-ethanol fuel will hurt anglers, and what you can do | NOLA.com . Chuck
Interesting article, no doubt it is bad stuff. I can only speak for myself. I have had to use E!0 since it came on the market, around the early 90's, I think.

Used it in cars, motorcycles, generators & outboards since then. Mixed with this:

Fuel Injector Cleaners, Diesel Injector Cleaners , Fuel Additives | Berryman Products

& draining the carburetor between uses has been problem free for me.

I change the gas in my generator once a year, the "old" gas runs fine.

Other additives may be as good or better?

Paul T

Banned
Reaction score
Actually e10 has been around and in common practical use since the mid 1970's but back then it was called gasahol and not as well regulated as it is now days
I was thinking that, it was around the time that lead free gas was introduced.
The site I looked at said early 90's? All I can remember is it was said your mileage would go down about 10%, which mine did. Not sure, but when it first came out, I think you had a choice, for a while, of "straight" gas or gasohol?

Overall, the only bad effect I had was that rubber fuel hoses seemed to get brittle & debris formed in float bowls if fuel was allowed to evaporate.

I suppose it is just a matter of time until E15 becomes mandatory nation wide.

Paul T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.