SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Reaction score
Man, I hate this. I've got 2 dingy outboards, I'm darn good at carburetor disassembly at this point, we should probably have a Sailnet competition to see who can do it the fastest:)

I suspect you've got a spec of something in your carburetor. In the world of ethanol, I recommend you get good at carburetor removal, cleaning, and reinstallation. It seems daunting at first, but it really isn't. Find some youtube videos, then give it a try. The jets in these small engines are so small that it takes hardly anything to block em. When you use that carb cleaner from auto world or whatever, wear eye protection as it likes to come back at you. Don't ask me how I know.

You can do this yourself in perhaps 30 mins the first time, I'm down to about 5 minutes now:D

There are many threads on this topic all over this board and others, which should give you an idea how common this problem is. And yes, it could be anything in the fuel system from hoses, connectors, tank pickup, or carburetor but most often its the carburetor cause the passages are soooo smalllll!

Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear it. You're biggest risk will be dropping something in the water if you do it in place.

FYI, most of the time I do this I don't go thru the whole process, with rebuild kit etc. Most of the time I just pull the carb, take off the bowl on the bottom, spray some carb cleaner up the jets, put it back on, and everything works.

So if it's driving you nuts, which they will, you might try this quick fix without waiting on all the parts....that's not to say doing the complete rebuild, filters and everything isn't the best way to be sure you've got it...I'm just saying that most times I just do this hack, and off it goes.

Good luck!

Registered
Reaction score
With the bowl removed, look at the thing upside down. You'll see the jets that are little tubes that go up into the carb. Get some spray cleaner with that little pipe on it, stick that little pipe right into the jet, and pull the trigger.

Wear eye protection..it has a way of coming back at you.

Make sure no debris in the bowl, reassemble and give it a try.

Registered
Reaction score
All this advice is good. For sure, the best thing is to take the carb completely apart, soak it in cleaner removing the expendables, get a rebuild kit and replace all the expendables. Yes, and an air compressor blowing out all the passages. Yes, and replace the in line fuel filter, and check the gas tank system particularly if external for leaks and blockage in the pickup tube, etc., etc.

That said, 9 out of 10 times, taking the bowl off, making sure it is perfectly clean (a spec of something is enough to cause havoc) squirting the carb cleaner thru the jets, gets a small engine going for me relatively quickly. YMMV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.