SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be sailing through the barnegat bay this weekend, does anyone know the height of the Tom's river bridge? I know the bridge opens, but I'm looking for the water clearance on both sides of the bridge to see if I can sail through without waiting for it to open. Thank you.

·
Registered
23,434 Posts
Do you have a chart?
I wondered the same. However, I also wonder if Sandy had changed some things down there or if there is construction in progress, which would mean one needs to check the Notices to Mariners as well.

Calling the Bridge authority directly is the easiest way to sort it out.

Reactions: ottos

·
Señor Member
576 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. A chart supplemented with the LNM and then some local knowledge. Active Captain has some interesting notes on the area.

Minne, You inspired me to review the LNM (my home area is in the same edition) and found this pertaining to that particular bridge (Mathis bridge).

Could be fun the next few years.....hopefully the closures will be during the winter, although they don't commit.

·
Otter
331 Posts
I've lived in Toms River / Lavallette my whole life outside my Army career. Do not trust any old charts you have prior to Sandy. As for the bridge, they call it at 30 ft. My mast is 28 and every time I go to transition the tender tells me I'm going to clear without it opening. No thanks. My fear is a heavy wake will cause problems at that minimal clearance. As for the charts. Everything south of the Mathis bridge appears to be back to normal but the north side seems to have greater shoals that pre Sandy. Good luck and sail safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts