SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
If you are in the USA, contact Ward Richardson at BeneteauUSA at 843-629-5300 and he should be able to help you.

·
Administrator
8,345 Posts
Same as Australia, no tonnage required.However don't think that the other 100 countries you visit will agree! They want a NUMBER! or something. So if you are under tonnage ensure they stamp your registration papers assuch.

just try getting into Indonesia, for example, where it took 4 days to clear in (and 2 days to clear out) some detail like the bloody tonnage is gunna start World War 3! How dare you Westerners try to HIDE your 8 tons from us!!!! :rolleyes:

Mark

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,039 Posts
Same as Australia, no tonnage required.However don't think that the other 100 countries you visit will agree! They want a NUMBER! or something. So if you are under tonnage ensure they stamp your registration papers assuch.

just try getting into Indonesia, for example, where it took 4 days to clear in (and 2 days to clear out) some detail like the bloody tonnage is gunna start World War 3! How dare you Westerners try to HIDE your 8 tons from us!!!! :rolleyes:

Mark
Although no tonnage survey is required for a boat this size in Canada the certificate of registry does show tonnage. There's a mathematical formula.

My B393 comes in at GT 14.4 NRT 7.3

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Actually, the OP might need know the tonnage of the yacht if he/she travels internationally. I don't know what the requirements are now but when we cleared into Martinique in the late '70's, the paperwork required included the "Tonnes Burden" of the Ship (in our case yacht). Of course, the form, required in quintuplet (fortunately we had by then learned to carry carbon paper by then), also required how many "guns" the ship mounted (none); and, how many "caskets" we carried (none either).

FWIW...

·
Dirt Free
3,034 Posts
Although no tonnage survey is required for a boat this size in Canada the certificate of registry does show tonnage. There's a mathematical formula.

My B393 comes in at GT 14.4 NRT 7.3
Actually if you choose to "register" the boat in Canada as opposed to "licensing", a tonnage measurement is required but on a vessel of this size, rather than having to hire a tonnage measurer you can do the "simplified calculation" from a form on the Transport Canada website.

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,039 Posts
Actually if you choose to "register" the boat in Canada as opposed to "licensing", a tonnage measurement is required but on a vessel of this size, rather than having to hire a tonnage measurer you can do the "simplified calculation" from a form on the Transport Canada website.
I thought I said that.

If you license the boat there is no certificate of registry. Just a license.

·
Dirt Free
3,034 Posts
I thought I said that.

If you license the boat there is no certificate of registry. Just a license.
It is still a "Tonnage Measurement" (survey) just a "Simplified Method" of measurement without the need of a "Tonnage Measurer" (Me :))

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very much for your help. :)
We are planning to go international. We will be probably be using the simplified method to measure our tonnage. I guess that every Beneteau Oceanis 350 has the same tonnage.
Does one of you own an Oceanis 350 and know the tonnage measurement?

·
Dirt Free
3,034 Posts
We are planning to go international. We will be probably be using the simplified method to measure our tonnage. I guess that every Beneteau Oceanis 350 has the same tonnage.
There is no such thing as "international registry" or "international tonnage measurement". You must go by the rules of the country you will register her in..... which you still have not told us.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Here is the calculation page Tonnage Measurements - Transport Canada

·
Badger Sailor
189 Posts
This direct from Beneteau:

Specifications
LOA 33' 9"
LWL 29' 10"
Beam 11' 3
Mast Height 40' (over water)
Draft 5' 2" (standard)
Draft 4' 2" (optional)
Ballast 3,968 (standard) lbs
Ballast 3,968 (optional) lbs
Displacement 10,582 [4,800 kgs]
Engine 28 hp
Fuel Capacity 21 gal
Water Capacity 80 gal
Hull / Designer Philippe Briand
Sail Area 488 sq. ft.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
MSN
Weight/displacement and tonnage in this case are not the same at all.
Tonnage, for registration purposes includes interior volume that can be used for cargo carrying and the capacity of it.
What can I say, the rules were written before recreational sailing.

My boat's displacement (empty) is 20,000 pounds, 10 short tons (Irwin 38 CC)

Here's Canada's simple method, in english, not math.

For vessels of not more than 12 metres in length, you can choose to use the "Assigned Formal Tonnage" (non-calculated tonnage). Assigned Formal Tonnage simply means linking a tonnage number to the length of the vessel. Should you require an accurate tonnage calculation, use Form 4A or 4B.

Not more than 8.5m = gross tonnage of 4.99
More than 8.5m but not more than 10.5m = gross tonnage of 9.99
More than 10.5m but not more than 12m = gross tonnage of 14.99
That puts me at 14.99 tons if I registered in Canada.

·
Badger Sailor
189 Posts
Thanks chuckles,

I believe there would be less confusion in threads like this if the OP would bother to indicate what country he/she wants to “Register” the vessel. Sailnet is an international community and it is nearly impossible to discuss legal issues when the poster ASSUMES we know what the hell they are talking about.

In the US, a vessel is either “registered” and taxed buy the state where the boat lives or it is “documented” by the USCG. If you are assuming the OP is about to “register” the vessel for the first time in Canada than you are much better at reading the tea leaves than the rest of us.

This thread has caused me to visit the USCG site and read up on the “documentation” process. I now know the difference between displacement and gross tonnage.

I am the second owner of my boat. The broker gave me all the paperwork I would need to either register the boat with my state or get it documented with the USCG. The boat was already registered in Wisconsin so it was easier to just continue doing that. I have only sailed in US waters on the Great Lakes but my wife is about to retire and I know our future travels will take us up into Canadian waters.

Can you explain why any US boater would choose to have their boat USCG “documented” vs. state “registered”. Would my life be less complicated when visiting Canada if the boat was USCG Documented?

·
Dirt Free
3,034 Posts
A documented vessel qualified for a "marine" mortgage.
Documentation is proof of ownership, state registration is not (except title states).
Crossing the Canadian border or to the Bahamas with a state registered vessel is common and usually trouble free. Most other countries in the world do not recognize state registration and entry may range from extremely difficult to impossible.

·
Badger Sailor
189 Posts
I located one Beneteau 350 for sale out there that lists tonnage: For Sale: Beneteau Oceanis 350 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

It reads, in part:

Technical Information:
Gross tonnage 11.30 24,910 lbs
Net tonnage 7.65 16,870 lbs
Length over all 9.6 m 31.5 feet
Breadth extreme 3.4 m 11.15 feet
Depth moulded 1.6 m 5.25 feet

Hope this helps.

·
Dirt Free
3,034 Posts
I located one Beneteau 350 for sale out there that lists tonnage: For Sale: Beneteau Oceanis 350 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

It reads, in part:

Technical Information:
Gross tonnage 11.30 24,910 lbs
Net tonnage 7.65 16,870 lbs
Length over all 9.6 m 31.5 feet
Breadth extreme 3.4 m 11.15 feet
Depth moulded 1.6 m 5.25 feet

Hope this helps.
I don't know what that means, "tonnage" cannot be converted to pounds.
Volume cannot be converted to weight.
i.e. What does a cubic ton weigh ?

·
Badger Sailor
189 Posts
I don't know what that means, "tonnage" cannot be converted to pounds.
Volume cannot be converted to weight.
i.e. What does a cubic ton weigh ?
Hey, I didn't write the boat-for-sale add I linked to. That boat lives in Thailand and maybe they do things differently over there.

And isn't that the bizarre thing about getting a boat "registered/documented". A "gross tonnage" value is required and it has nothing to do with weight but everything to do with volume. One Gross Ton (GT) = 100 cubic feet of cargo space.

The OP has the length and beam for the boat. He/she appears to be missing the "depth" value or he/she could calculate the GT value by whatever formula is used for whatever country they are planning to register the boat with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts