SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in learning to sail, but suspect I may be too heavy at present (23.5 stone/6'1"/male). I'm not completely sedentary but still pretty unfit. Not a bad swimmer, though.

I'm in the process of losing weight (I maxed out at 27st), but it's not a quick process. I have a number of landmarks ahead of me - scuba diving at 20st, 18st for race car driving, 15st for parachute jumps. Where does sailing lie?

Any advice appreciated!

·
blue collar cruiser
370 Posts
That's pretty hefty, blue. How well do you carry your weight? In sailing it is pretty common to have to move around and accomplish various physical tasks: standing from a seated position (up and down countless times), walking on a tilted deck to the mast, etc. etc.

Sailing takes coordination and balance, if you've got that you're in.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've got a buddy your size that runs a sailing school in Florida.
Like he says....when its time to go up the mast...its not going to be him!

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Go for it dude. Just pick the right boat and have some mates with you to work the deck if need be until you get the hang of it. Good to see you with the fire to get active. You'll love sailing.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Actually, I bet a racer would love to have you!!! Rail meat... but at least you could start getting experience along the way!

Brian

·
1,000 Posts
where do you live???

Like Portugal???

Can you move from one side to ther other of a heeling boat???

Can you take aggravation, insult, and personal offense??

I Offer bed, food and laundry and 100 euros a month....

·
Registered
263 Posts
I guess it also depends if your 5ft tall or 7ft tall....the displacements the same but a longer LOA may be a bit more sea kindly.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Here's what I would expect you to be able to do.

Get up from a sitting position 10 times in a row without using your hands.

Stand with your feet apart and do 10 side twists.

Stand with your feet apart and do 10 side stretches.

Kneel on one knee and tie your shoe.

Sit on the floor and then get up.

Shuffle sideways.

Balance on one foot for 30 seconds.

Have a good grip.

Bring your own life vest.

Have a good sense the humor.

If you can do the above things than you can come sailing with me.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Depends a lot on what kind of boat you're wanting to sail on. Trying to fit a person of your height and weight on a Laser is probably not a good idea. On most keel boats, you'd be fine sailing, especially once you build up some stamina. While a lot of people don't see sailing as a physical sport—since a lot of it is mental—it can also take a lot out of you physically, depending on the boat you're on. Larger, less sporty boats will probably be easier for you to handle, since they generally require less in the way of crew fitness.

If you can scuba dive and race car drive, you can sail most boats. As pointed out, coordination, balance and brains are probably more important than aerobic fitness on most sailboats. Racing, generally ups the level of fitness required, since some racing boats require the crew to be very active.

BTW, I'd highly recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here. It has tips on searching sailnet, writing a good post, etc.. Welcome to the asylum.

I'm interested in learning to sail, but suspect I may be too heavy at present (23.5 stone/6'1"/male). I'm not completely sedentary but still pretty unfit. Not a bad swimmer, though.

I'm in the process of losing weight (I maxed out at 27st), but it's not a quick process. I have a number of landmarks ahead of me - scuba diving at 20st, 18st for race car driving, 15st for parachute jumps. Where does sailing lie?

Any advice appreciated!

·
Ex Member
125 Posts

Any advice appreciated!
Sailing's a bit of a moving target... the correct answer is "whatever DC is weighing in at" :p

As a lot of other people have said, it's not so much about weight (okay, unless you're racing in a one-design class with an overall crew weight limit) as it is things like stamina, knowing how you move best and minimizing those movements through a solid mental grasp of what's going on, etc etc. It also really depends on what you want to do... you could be out helming a small-ish keelboat on the local mill pond tomorrow if you wanted to, bigger water and bigger pressure (racing, real ugly weather, whatever) start moving those bars up and up until you hit a level where the guys are not only paid to be sailors but pretty much paid to be athletes as well.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm not as tall, but I weigh even more than you and I've been sailing for years...just got to pick the right boat. And that doesn't have to be some sort of sterotypical boat. I actually sail a little 12' Hobbie Bravo in our Lagoon...it can be lots of fun, especially when it trys to be a submarine...the big boat is a J/105 which can also be loads of fun, either daysailing or racing. In the attached picture I'm trimming the chute... I too hope to lose much of my excess weight, but just because I'm overweight doesn't stop me from sailing (or diving for that matter, still clean the bottom of the boat myself). Don't stop having fun and living life to it's fullest.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
That's pretty hefty, blue. How well do you carry your weight? In sailing it is pretty common to have to move around and accomplish various physical tasks: standing from a seated position (up and down countless times), walking on a tilted deck to the mast, etc. etc.

Sailing takes coordination and balance, if you've got that you're in.
In addition to SS's comments above, I've found that one of the keys to moving about the deck safely is keeping your CG (center of gravity) low. When you're moving about a moving deck, the lower you are the more secure you'll be. I think that's particularily hard to do if you're overweight. Also, as a rule small boats move more and more quickly than do larger ones, so what you sail matters. My recommendation would be to put sailing on the list when you hit 15-16 stone.

·
Apropos of Nothing
1,736 Posts
Go for it, Blue! Try it. If you don't like it, don't do it again. And if you love the water, but not sailing, you can always go with a trawler!

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
There are a couple of big guys in our club. One of them is just a big ol' farm boy 6'7" and every bit of 270. The other goes 6'3" and closer to 300. The 300 pounder is a regular on the crew of one of the race boats (a tartan 27 I think). He's pretty agile for a big man, and he says rail meat is his forte.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts