SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Too many forums??? I don't mean to sound like crank, but it can be difficult navigating all the forums. Forums - sub-forums - and more sub-forums under those sub-forums. Just like this forum??? Why can't I start a new thread with this question? Why does it say to put your suggestions here? Do you mean this thread? Or this forum? Why is "Chesapeake" 3-tiers down?... under another forum called CHESAPEAKE!!! Why when I post to one, it goes to both? Which forum do I post to ask questions about boats? I thought I was in one, but really in another. Then I couldn't delete the post to put it in the "correct" forum. Then it seems I was STILL in the wrong (sub)forum. Sub-forums! and MORE sub-forums!#&^%!!#@@!!! Why does the "top" Sailnet forum list show one set of forums and another set of forums (sub-forums) on another "top" page? Why is there a Provisioning sub-forum when there's been only 116 threads in its' entire existence? Why are there four Florida forums?... with only 42 posts total in all? Same with New England - NY to Maine with sub-forums for MASS??? Same with PacNW & AK with another forum for PacNW? Same with Great Lakes. Many other forums have zero threads - but oh, wait, there's another sub-forum there where all the posts are. Why is there a sub-forum under Cruising&Liveaboard with "Articles"? Shouldn't that be under "Articles"? Why all the boat manufacturers forums listed under a "top" forum page?

Get the point? I know I'm kind of new here, but I'm also VERY computer literate. This site is absolutely the most difficult to navigate I have ever seen.

Thanks for being here though. Peace-Out... Roger in Texas

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
I agree with you on the 2 "top-level" links. In the bread crumb links at the top of the page, the "General Interest Forums" link doesn't make sense to me. I get it in terms of organizing the info - but not in linking. Of course, if you actually click on the "General Interest Forums" it's pretty insane the way the info is laid out there. So why have it?

If it were just "SailNet Community > Your Current Forum" it would make a lot more sense. That way you always navigate directly back to the top level with either the bread crumb links of the left nav.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Your right. I just click on "new posts" then no "politics/no off topic" to see whats new, unless I want to search for something. But that does not turn up everything either.

S

·
0 Posts
I agree, there is far too much chaos for the eye on this fantastic site

SIMPLICITY SIMPLICITY SIMPLICITY
is always the best way to go when dealing with large groups

-JD

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
You guys are all channeling Andy Rooney, right? He is a genuine crank.
That said, I will half heartedly agree that way some some of the forums are 'organized' in a fairly haphazard manner.
That said, SN is not the only forum to be guilty on this count.

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
Geez, don't ya just hate it when the new guys start complaining about the way things work. Oh wait, that would include me whining about the search function.

Its a great board, warts and all.

michael

·
Registered
210 Posts
meh... web sites, forums included, suffer from a constant need for simplicity, for navigation and complexity, for data management.

Honest, there isn't a right way to do it. As I tell my clients; "if we can build your website on time and in budget with all functions, well, functioning, and someone who visits twice can even begin to find their way around we will have done a good job."

It takes a bit of time to learn a robust site.

Patience little grasshoppers ; -)

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
meh... At least there is no 'Motor Vessel' section on SN as there is on CF... or is there???

I mostly use the 'Quick Links' -> 'Todays Post' function anyway so I don't really give a huge crap over how nested the various 'folders' are. This thread did remind me to dig way down deep into the 'Long Island' folder where I found a nice, old, stale post to reply to though. I almost forgot that that folder was there

Q: is sarafinadh = 'and himself'? For an 'IT' kind of guy your punctuation is not the best\'.'

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Folks, I agree.

We did a little reorganizing recently and it appears we have a few glitches.

Give us some time and we'll get it sorted out. Apologies.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
I agree, there is far too much chaos for the eye on this fantastic site

SIMPLICITY SIMPLICITY SIMPLICITY
is always the best way to go when dealing with large groups

-JD

Thus far we have the stupid bit down pat but we are still working on the keeping it simple part......

Sarahinadh.....how'd you like to come to Australia and build me a nice simple website ? One really does have to wonder why so many web sites are a disorganised rabble from go to whoa.

As for a punctuation policeman.......oh goody....then we can move on to spelling and grammar......that shood be gud four a larf.

Lets start with "metre"........

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sarahinadh.....how'd you like to come to Australia and build me a nice simple website ? One really does have to wonder many web sites are a disorganised rabble from go to whoa.
if a disorganized rabble equals a committee... then they ALL are in my experience... and my standard answer when they start making *in progress* changes is;
YOU CAN"T AFFORD TO PAY ME TO DO THAT!!

and then they all look at each other and go "oh, yeah, that's why we didn't put it in the original plan"

Joyous, let me tell you!

and there isn't really any such beast as a nice simple web site, only ones that ain't been upgraded yet ; -)

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Folks, I agree.

We did a little reorganizing recently and it appears we have a few glitches.

Give us some time and we'll get it sorted out. Apologies.
...sorry John. I feel kinda bad. I think my heart meds are back under control now. Whew!... and to think I almost volunteered to redo your database. Thanks for everyone's hard work. It really is nice here.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
...sorry John. I feel kinda bad. I think my heart meds are back under control now. Whew!... and to think I almost volunteered to redo your database. Thanks for everyone's hard work. It really is nice here.
No need to apologize or feel bad. We appreciate the feedback.:)

S

·
0 Posts
well put John
nice to have mature healthy perspective

we all just want this site to be its best
Internet venting is a bust

keep sailin'

-JD

·
Handsome devil
3,477 Posts
Please take all complaints to

Sail net Forums>
> Sailing and cruising
> Topics
> Topic Sub forums
> Fourm menues
> Members area
> Notices and Recommendations
> Navigating Sailnet
> FAQ
> Contact us
> Contact us sub forums
>Ask your question to the Community
> Did that answer your question Survey
> Help Desk
> Posting your complaint
> Resources
Argg! my computer crashed....this wasn't supposed to post yet..:rolleyes:
> Web master
> Support Desk subforums
> Gripes

There you will be able to post your criticism and suggestions...any way post you complaints there please and we will get back with you...thanks for choosing Sailnet

·
Registered
210 Posts
No Politics No/Off Topic??? But then I'll never get to see Sara's posts. :)
I turn up in the sailing forums also, smarty pants.

But I can't be havin a jammed rudder or an escapee halyard everyday of the week, and I am still using all the fine advice I got for bilge pumps and water systems. Got to get that done before I start anything new

; -)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I quite like the way things are organised...it's fun to navigate through it all...because signposts are not too digital you can end up somewhere quite unexpected and interesting. I like it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts