SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Learning the HARD way...
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I was looking at a new dinghy, and created a thread on the topic. The net is that I was unable to buy the inflatable that I wanted at the time (a TUG 9 Locker) because they were out of stock until sometime in October. So I decided to put up with my leaky dinghy, a ten-year-old West Marine by Zodiac SB-275, for the rest of the season. The fact that it would slowly deflate over the course of 3 days was a concern, however.

I decided to try a quart of Bixler Marine's Toob-Seal.

For ~$65 (including shipping and tax) I didn't have much to lose. "...stops slow seam leaks and porosity in both Hypalon and PVC inflatable boats and SUP鈥檚 using an extraordinary acrylic based formula. "

On Sept 4, I deflated the dink, poured about 16 ounces in each tube, re-inflated and then tilted the inflated dinghy into 5 different positions, shaking it vigorously when I re-positioned the dinghy. After about 2 hours of repositioning and shaking, I bolted on the new-to-me 5hp 2-stroke, and went for a vigorous dinghy blast on Greenwich Bay.

After 10 days (I was last in the dink on Sept 15th), I am pleased to report that the dinghy is STILL holding ALL the air that I pumped it up with on Sept 4. It looks like I'm good, at least until I reach Florida (in late October). 馃槂 (y)

No affiliation - just a happy customer.

Super Moderator
I bought a new van a couple years ago. No spare tire 馃槷. Instead it came with a 12 volt air compressor and 2 settings. Just air and air+gunk. The gunk is supposed to seal punctures in the tire. Haven't had a flat on the van to try it out on, but sounds like similar technology.

Registered
I've used something similar before and it does work. To a point. It coats the inside with an acrylic-like film similar to a floor sealer. As long as you never deflate the dinghy, it seems to hold air like new. Once you start deflating it, the sealer starts cracking/flaking and eventually re-exposes the problem area(s). When I used it, the dinghy got inflated in the spring and left that way all summer. Never needed air. Then in the winter, it was deflated, rolled up, and stored at home. The next year, it needed reinflating a few times over the summer. The following year, it was back to a leaky dinghy again. I think it was the deflating that was the issue for the above reason, and likely it would still be holding air if it was never deflated. Otherwise, this is a pretty inexpensive way to get additional use from an EOL dinghy.

Mark

Learning the HARD way...
Discussion Starter #4
Otherwise, this is a pretty inexpensive way to get additional use from an EOL dinghy.
Posted in the "other" thread; this is an EOL dinghy. My wife says she will pay for the new one!

Registered
Wonder if a tire sealant would do the same. Something like Slime Emergency Tire Sealant and since it doesn't contain the word marine its only $6.66 for 16 ounces.

Reactions: RegisteredUser
1 - 5 of 5 Posts