Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
your foot

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
for the hull its different the end of a screw driver has always been my fave...just tap tap tap and loo(smooth) over with your hand

on the decks honestly I dont get it...its called a soft spot for a reason....you walk around the decks moving and putting more weight on one leg then the other, move around if you see or feel any movement mark the spot

then go below decks and look at cabinetry, and bulkheads or hardware if you have any indication of a leak...mark spot, go up again on deck and dance around...

if you have delamination you will hear cabinetry and bulkheads squeak when walking directly over it...if you have detabbed bulkheads youll feel movement like the deck hitting the top of the bulkheads, etc...

if all you have is a soft spot mid deck where no hardware or bulkheads or cabinetry is under or around it then its an easy real easy fix... if there is stuff under a simple task can become quite major

Im doing this as we speak on my islander 36

there is a forward bulkhead that rotted, so every time I walk over it it reminds me FIX ME!

new ply, re tab, glass and some varnish and thats that

the deck is solid it whats under that failed

on small places where its soft and you know its a cored deck and hopefully ply there are many ways simple and detailed on how to fix it

cheers and good luck

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
FREEZE

thats whats important

this is what happened:

gelocoat cracked, water intrusion...freeze that freeze thaw(notice BULGE) water expands, crack gets bigger...eventually all along the length of the sole

then you step on it(or po) and it make things worse

basically temps have a lot to do with what happens on top and below decks

I would grind the gelcoat off, make sure moisture is gone and re gecloat andpaint over or do a nice non skids surface...that or grind and just paint a thinn coat of paint and use a nice teak cover...

gelcoat once cracked has a tendency to keep cracking and crazing

kid of like a glass window in your car unless you drill it to stop it expanding...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts