SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Isomat NG -105 mast with cutter rig, 65ft long. I ran my halyards this past time home(back offshore now) and I have been thinking about the topping lift for my mast mounted spin pole.

The only line coming out near the inner stay was what I presumed to be the halyard for the stay sail. Am I supposed to use this for the spin pole or should I run a second line for that next to the staysail halyard? I imagine you douse the staysail before flying the chute.

Also, as of now that halyard runs through the side of the mast out of an exit plate and not through the rest of the sheave blocks where the other halyards run. It's an old picture before the new halyards and sheaves.
the staysail halyard comes through a few feet up from the mast where the picture cuts off on the right.

And second question, what size line should I use for the boom topping lift? 5/16? 3/8? 1/2 would be overkill I imagine..

Boat is a 47'.

Ronnie

·
Master Mariner
9,418 Posts
We have an external block. Perhaps an internal halyard would chafe too much if it wasn't running forward from the mast as a halyard does.
We use 7/16" line, not so much for strength, but comfort in handling.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,491 Posts
Looking at the sheave block under the "staysail" tang at the spreaders, neither of these sheaves would be particularly useful for managing a spinnaker pole. With the stay in place, and sheaves below, one would have to "dip" the pole behind the inner stay, which, if possible, would make resetting the sheets/guys problematical; or, use two poles, one on either side of the stay, still somewhat problematic for sheets/guys handling, Moreover the outstanding side plates on either side of the sheave block will chafe the lifts terribly if the pole is pulled very far aft and loosing a lift to chafe is not something you want to do with the sail flying--BTDT. It would be wiser to affix a mount for a swivel block above the whole business with the line lead through an exit slot below the block. As to line size, our pole lifts are 10mm or a tad over 3/8" although, as noted by Capta, above, 7/16" is likely a little more easily handled.

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the sheave block under the "staysail" tang at the spreaders, neither of these sheaves would be particularly useful for managing a spinnaker pole. With the stay in place, and sheaves below, one would have to "dip" the pole behind the inner stay, which, if possible, would make resetting the sheets/guys problematical; or, use two poles, one on either side of the stay, still somewhat problematic for sheets/guys handling, Moreover the outstanding side plates on either side of the sheave block will chafe the lifts terribly if the pole is pulled very far aft and loosing a lift to chafe is not something you want to do with the sail flying--BTDT. It would be wiser to affix a mount for a swivel block above the whole business with the line lead through an exit slot below the block. As to line size, our pole lifts are 10mm or a tad over 3/8" although, as noted by Capta, above, 7/16" is likely a little more easily handled.
I do have two places on the mast head where shackles and a block were made. Could I run the topping lift that high?

I'm just not sure how I could get a block by that stay. The inner stay is removable with a Pelican hook so when brought back to the mast the dip pole can swing freely. I do understand the chafing issue when the pole is at the beams. I'll look on rigrite and see if they have anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.