SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 28 footer does not currently have a topping lift, it uses an off-center crutch secured on the cockpit bulkhead next to the companionway. It works but the five foot long crutch is a bit of a hassle. So I am considering a topping lift.

I am considering putting a shroud cleat on the backstay a couple feet above desired boom height and running a short line from it to the aft end of the boom to serve the topping lift function. The much shorter line would permit less boom-swing than a conventional topping lift line from the masthead.

Any thoughts on this solution?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
What you are proposing will work. Common on many smaller boats. The disadvantage is you have to hook it up prior to dropping the main or the boom ends up in the cockpit. A topping lift that goes to the top of the mast is left connected while sailing and thus will support the boom when you drop the main. Same for the spring loaded strut types installed between the base of the mast and the boom.

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
If what you are describing is something to hold the boom up when the sail is down it will work fine. A topping lift is used to change the depth of the sail when underway. Since whenever the boom moves your solution would change the amount of lift of the boom it would clearly not work as a "topping lift.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If what you are describing is something to hold the boom up when the sail is down it will work fine. A topping lift is used to change the depth of the sail when underway. Since whenever the boom moves your solution would change the amount of lift of the boom it would clearly not work as a "topping lift.
Interesting. The only use on my boat for the topping lift is to hold the boom up when the sail is down. Since I don't use it to change the "depth" of the sail when underway then what should I call it?

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,095 Posts
I do not like hooking a lift off the backstay. On a windy day, you do not want to be attempting to handle the back end of the boom which will be swinging in violent circles. You risk a black eye or losing some teeth.

Installing a proper topping lift from the top of the mast is the way to go, and will also serve to support the boom when reefing. A solid boomvang is an alternative, combined with the use of the main halyard as the topping lift. I find on most boats that setting the topping lift so it just goes slack when the main is raised, allows you to ignore the topping lift for the rest of the season, i.e. it does not need further adjustment at any time.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I had this on my 22' boat. I have split backstays and when I bought the boat the boom was held up by a line that ran between the two backstays. It worked.

A couple times I forgot to unhook it and sailed away with the boom still clipped on. Didn't notice while close hauled, but things got interesting when I came down to a beam reach and tried to ease the mainsheet….

This spring I replaced it with a proper topping lift and I like that much better. It could also function as a spare halyard, if needed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Our first boat, a 22', had the topping lift attached to the backstay...it did its job in holding the boom up. However, I completely agree with Minnesail...I also forgot to detach it from the backstay a few times, and it can be more of a pain than one would think to reattach it when it's time to take the sail down, and the wind and seas have kicked up. For a 28', which is what we currently own, I would also suggest a proper topping lift from the masthead, which is how ours is set up and it is a much more efficient setup. However, it will work...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am considering putting a shroud cleat on the backstay a couple feet above desired boom height and running a short line from it to the aft end of the boom to serve the topping lift function. The much shorter line would permit less boom-swing than a conventional topping lift line from the masthead.

Any thoughts on this solution?
A shroud cleat holding the boom would carry significant weight from time to time (forgetting to disconnect, storms rocking the boat and pushing on the sail cover, people falling against the boom, etc.). Along with the clamping force of the actual cleat, I think this unnecessarily wears a spot in the backstay.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Interesting. The only use on my boat for the topping lift is to hold the boom up when the sail is down. Since I don't use it to change the "depth" of the sail when underway then what should I call it?
Not usually. I have been known to take the weight of the boom with the topping lift in light airs so as to let the sail fill. Not a trick I use often but it does work.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I used to sail a Catalina 27 with a Topping lift on the back stay as you describe.
It works.
I can't begin to list all the reasons I disliked it.
It tends to act like a sheet once its attached.
Particularly awkward if when reefing.
Rigged from the top of the mast is much better, if you can a solid boom vang is the way to go. I have one on my current boat its great.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have a pigtail on my Cal. As this is my first boat, I've learned to deal with it. I unhook it after I raise the main and it doesn't get in the way at all while underway. It is a PITA while single handing having to hang the boom before dropping the main.
I'm currently in the process of running a topping lift from the mast head to ease the suffering that my poor backstay has endured.

·
Registered
304 Posts
A PO decided to attach a pigtail to the backstay using a u-bolt.

I hated it. When sailing, the line would come loose and smack me in the head. Raising and lowering the main was always an exercise in frustration.

At the end of the season, I had a real topping lift installed so that I could ditch the pigtail, have a spare halyard, and reef more simply.

The biggest problem was that the angled pressure on the u-bolt had deformed the stay. I now have a new backstay, too. That damage was the only reason to replace the stay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That setup is called a Pigstail. It works well to just hang the boom at the dock or mooring but agree it places a bit of undue stress possibly on backstay.

·
Master Mariner
8,221 Posts
Ghost thread.
One would hope he's got it figured out by now!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts