SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Large Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've taken the leap and I'm painting the topside on my Islander 36. Currently it's a marine blue color, sort of a royal blue.

Trying to make a decision to either paint her the dark Flag Blue or a Marine White, an off-white color.

Any suggestions, comments on which way to go?

I'll try to find a pic of her current color...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I think white would be at least marginally cooler, both inside and for bare........feet.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
is that blue paint or gelcoat? looks like it is painted. are you removing all the blue. painting white over blue will take a lot of white primer to cover it and if you get a scratch?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
By topside I mean the blue in the pic, the decks are white and light beige or teak. Although I've had her healed quite nicely, never been able to set foot on the side :D
Sorry, can't see the photo*. You never have anyone sit on the deck & dangle legs over the side? See it all the time here in Florida.

*[rant]
Probably because I keep JavaScript & Flash turned off, and your photo service uses JavaScript to display pics. There is no legitimate reason for a site to run 100k of hidden code to display a picture.
[/rant]

·
Large Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is that blue paint or gelcoat? looks like it is painted. are you removing all the blue. painting white over blue will take a lot of white primer to cover it and if you get a scratch?
It's paint, the blue is getting sanded and the dings filled. I'm not doing the work personally but I'm sure they will prep and prime it properly. It's a reputable yard.

If it scratches they assure me that it is easily fixed. I guess it will show white as the gel is white too. I'm dealing with that now anyway though. I'll get a pint of touch up I guess?

I think my biggest worry of the Flag Blue would be water spotting, just keeping it clean.

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
It's paint, the blue is getting sanded and the dings filled. I'm not doing the work personally but I'm sure they will prep and prime it properly. It's a reputable yard.

If it scratches they assure me that it is easily fixed. I guess it will show white as the gel is white too. I'm dealing with that now anyway though. I'll get a pint of touch up I guess?

Yes, big scratches need to be touched up. I call it the 20-ft rule - it won't be that noticeable. Sliding along the dock bumpers might also cause a white residue, which can be easily scraped off.

I think my biggest worry of the Flag Blue would be water spotting, just keeping it clean.
As long as you keep it waxed (but don't let anyone over buff the paint - they need a light touch), then a fresh water rinse won't streak. If you don't rinse the salt water off, then it will show the salt when it dries. I'm happy with my color. It's easy to find a blue boat in a sea of white

·
Large Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As long as you keep it waxed (but don't let anyone over buff the paint - they need a light touch), then a fresh water rinse won't streak. If you don't rinse the salt water off, then it will show the salt when it dries. I'm happy with my color. It's easy to find a blue boat in a sea of white
That's good to know, do you have it waxed annually? bi-annually?

·
19,484 Posts
Have you decided on which paint to use? Any compatibility issues with what's already on there?

Not many colours look as good as Flag Blue on a fair hull. but it has to be very fair or every flaw and ripple will show.

I'd do Flag blue, esp since you're already close to that.

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
Personally, I like a shade or two darker than flag blue. In for a penny.

Waxing, buffing and repair are an annual gig on a good paint job.
+1. I've let mine go a little longer than this (ummm, 2 years now), but I have a haul out due in which I plan to do this and rebed some stanchions that are weeping some white stuff down the sides. It all just seems easier on the hard than in the water. This was also very old paint that the surveyor had said was "failing." I was able to get it buffed up enough to keep the insurance company from freaking out over that word. I was also told that you can keep the topsides as well as the deck looking good, if it is waxed regularly. Of course, regular maintenance is the cure for everything on a boat, right ;)

Go dark. You'll like it.

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
How about orange and purple zebra stripes? It would make finding the boat in a crowded anchorage easier.

·
Barquito
3,887 Posts
I went from decades-in-Chicago-smog white to flag blue. Love it. I don't worry about scratches too much. If they bother me, I'll touch them up. OTOH, there is a black boat in the yard that looks pretty awsome!

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I bought my boat it was flag blue gelcoat which was badly faded. The boat was only 11 years old. So I flipped it and had it awlgripped oyster white with flag blue trim. Went with oyster white because I wanted to avoid the fading issue, plus I've read that a dark hull boat can be ten degrees warmer down below, which could be an issue depending on where you sail.

I wax the hull with Awlcare in the fall and again in the spring. You have to apply Awlcare by hand, but it is easy to work with.

·
Large Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you decided on which paint to use? Any compatibility issues with what's already on there?

Not many colours look as good as Flag Blue on a fair hull. but it has to be very fair or every flaw and ripple will show.

I'd do Flag blue, esp since you're already close to that.
DuPont Marine is what they are using. Don't think there will be any compatibility issues, they will be sanding it down and priming first so it should be fine.

I do like the Flag Blue the best at this point.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.