SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I love the idea....

I looked at the Toeqeedo wed site spec's it says they need 2 battery's 180ah each min. I also just check at west marine, the battery that would work is a 4D 200ah. They weigh 150lbs each. I think I would stick with a outboard.
I hate out boards and my cat has TWO to hate...

But bubb2 nailed it with the power supply issues. To run it for any significant time would require a huge generator.

Darn.

A small one for the dingy is a different matter. I'm still musing on that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I would use the motor pretty sparingly, no extended steaming. The boat has had the Atomic Four removed and the prop aperture glassed over. I don't really want to get a motor at all, but I've decided it would be better to have something in case I get in a jam. I loath outboards and the thought of one junking up my transom is nauseating. This motor is lightweight and I could just throw it on when I needed it, I couldn't do that with an outboard. I'm not really worried about the weight of the batteries, it would simply be in place of the motor. Would it be possible to recharge the batteries via solar and windpower? Would the motor even produce enough power to move my boat in any current?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
If you use the motor sparingly, solar or wind should do it. I used to use an electric trolling motor on a 20', one ton sloop. It worked well enough in calms, and didn't need charging very often. I just kept a dual purpose battery aboard that went ashore for charging. That motor was equal to about two hp, iirc.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Why not a 3-4 HP four-stroke? A long-shaft of the Yamaha/Tohatsu/Nissan variety could weigh as little as 50 lbs., light enough to one-arm into the cabin onto a small mount or some other trim-friendly spot...like where the A4 used to be.

·
19,489 Posts
Well this is certainly the most "serious" electric outboard I've ever seen marketed... and may well make some sense (btw what are they worth?)

A 4 hp would be very marginal for a 29 footer, probably only practical in calm conditions, and even then rather slow. You'd likely require near full throttle, limiting your range/time considerably.

Since you're not worried about weight, with batteries replacing the original engine, seems to me the biggest issue is going to be recharging - with nothing on board to do so (or are you planning to carry a generator?)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've currently got a 150 watt solar panel, but I'm looking into adding additional panels or a wind generator. All in all the batteries, wind generator and electric motor would add up to cost much more than an outboard. I'm not made of money, but I don't mind paying more for the electric set up if it will actually serve my needs.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
The Torqeedo motor model 801:
West Marine: Travel 801 Electric Outboard Product Display

The Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 model: West Marine: Cruise 2.0 Electric Outboards Product Display

It would appear that the cheaper model uses a proprietary battery that is 29.6 volts. You can get a spare battery for this model at $700 per but they are rechargeable with a 110v adapter. The equivalent of a 2 HP so not really a viable contender for your boat (Pearson Triton right?).
The Cruise 2.0 model runs on 24 volts and claims to deliver 6 HP so would be a better choice for your boat but at $2700 for the motor alone is quite an expensive choice. Add in a battery bank (2 group 31s or 4 Ds are recommended), a means of recharging the bank and this will cost over $3K. For this price you could probably get a functioning Atomic 4 and maybe even all the systems it would need. It would require a bit of work on your part though.
You might even be able to find a diesel engine that could be used instead: Universal Atomic 4cyl Diesel Marine Engine

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm considering replacing my Evinrude 9.9 hp longshaft with the Torqeedo Cruise R 4. The Evinrude sits in a well on my Bristol 27 which means any waves from aft can fill the box. The motor is too heavy and bulky to remove from the well once I'm undersail. The Torqeedo is lighter and smaller allowing me to lift and store it when undersail. I think modern batteries and solar chargers will suffice. The Torqeedo claims thrust equivalent to a 9 hp engine and hp equivalent to 6 hp engine. I can't tell if the Torqeedo is equivalent. I sail on the shallow lakes in Oklahoma formed by daming the Arkansas River. I hope to take Indigo down the river to New Orleans and beyond in a few years.

Is there a way to calculate the thrust and hp needed to move my 6000 lb displacement boat? Is replacing the outboard with a Torqeedo a pipedream at this time? Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
To move a 6000lbs vessel you need a lot more power than a Torqeedo seriously.
15hp outboard of any kind will work fine and might even save your life and those on board who think highly of you and put their lives in your hands.

Good luck and safe boating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts