SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I would use the motor pretty sparingly, no extended steaming. The boat has had the Atomic Four removed and the prop aperture glassed over. I don't really want to get a motor at all, but I've decided it would be better to have something in case I get in a jam. I loath outboards and the thought of one junking up my transom is nauseating. This motor is lightweight and I could just throw it on when I needed it, I couldn't do that with an outboard. I'm not really worried about the weight of the batteries, it would simply be in place of the motor. Would it be possible to recharge the batteries via solar and windpower? Would the motor even produce enough power to move my boat in any current?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've currently got a 150 watt solar panel, but I'm looking into adding additional panels or a wind generator. All in all the batteries, wind generator and electric motor would add up to cost much more than an outboard. I'm not made of money, but I don't mind paying more for the electric set up if it will actually serve my needs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts