SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm considering replacing my Evinrude 9.9 hp longshaft with the Torqeedo Cruise R 4. The Evinrude sits in a well on my Bristol 27 which means any waves from aft can fill the box. The motor is too heavy and bulky to remove from the well once I'm undersail. The Torqeedo is lighter and smaller allowing me to lift and store it when undersail. I think modern batteries and solar chargers will suffice. The Torqeedo claims thrust equivalent to a 9 hp engine and hp equivalent to 6 hp engine. I can't tell if the Torqeedo is equivalent. I sail on the shallow lakes in Oklahoma formed by daming the Arkansas River. I hope to take Indigo down the river to New Orleans and beyond in a few years.

Is there a way to calculate the thrust and hp needed to move my 6000 lb displacement boat? Is replacing the outboard with a Torqeedo a pipedream at this time? Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.

·
Registered
981 Posts
To move a 6000lbs vessel you need a lot more power than a Torqeedo seriously.
15hp outboard of any kind will work fine and might even save your life and those on board who think highly of you and put their lives in your hands.

Good luck and safe boating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts