SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! First time poster here....so a question regarding the bottom paint. A few months ago I put a fresh job with micron 66 black, about 3-4 inches above the waterline. this last week I was working with Starbrites rust remover spray on all my stainless steel railings and stations, etc. after spraying off, the dripping down the hull stripped away the micron 66 paint above the waterline. Anybody ever touched up above the waterline while in the water?

·
11,862 Posts
Did similar, swing the boom with some weight on the end out into wing on wing position. Boat will roll up some to let you get at it.

Reactions: Dude37

·
Registered
544 Posts
Learned that lesson the hard way. Now I take care of cleaning up stainless Before bottom paint goes on. Oh well, I'm sure I have many lessons yet to come.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why would you want anti-foul above the waterline when its sole purpose is to repel marine life that lives below the waterline?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Why would you want anti-foul above the waterline when its sole purpose is to repel marine life that lives below the waterline?
Think of circumstances where the hull might be consistently wet slightly above the normal waterline.
1. Harbor chop.
2. Cruising load.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
keeps the slime and algae from showing on the topsides. Makes it easier to mask and polish the topsides while in the water.

·
Master Mariner
8,253 Posts
One goes out and buys a cruising boat and moves aboard with all his stuff.. Then he adds some cruising gear to go cruising. As time goes by he adds some more stuff like a watermaker and maybe a couple of SCUBA tanks and a bunch of spare parts. Really, lots of spares.

Pretty soon that theoretical waterline is below the actual waterline and the boat looks like crap.
So, as most cruisers do, the painted waterline moves up first 2" then 4" and them we mostly have got it covered at 6". Ask any cruiser; he's always trying give away or sell some stuff.

Of course, day sailors and racers wouldn't have a clue. They just bring what they need for the day and the rest clutters up their garage. lol

Reactions: chef2sail

·
Registered
20 Posts
Doesn't that mean it's time to reset the position of the waterline, which is what you'd effectively be doing by applying AF higher than the "when empty" waterline? Unlike commercial cargo vessels, pleasure craft don't usually carry a Plimsol line marking.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts