SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I found a nice cat 22 on a trailer...only problem is its 200 miles away. I plan on purchasing a pick up sometime in the future but for now I have 2 Hondas incapable of towing. Enterprise does not allow towing but their ram 1500 has a hole for a ball. I guess it's called a bumper hitch. What would I need to do to attach the trailer? Just throw a ball in there with a pin? It says max tow capacity is 5000 and tongue weight 17 lbs

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
My guess is that total boat & trailer weight could be about 4,500 lbs, maybe more. IIRC, in California, any trailer over 1,500 lbs requires trailer brakes. Suggest you find out what kind, if any, brakes are on your trailer. Also, I think most trailer Mfrs suggest anywhere from 5% to 15% of the total weight be on the tongue.

Using a rental vehicle for an unallowed purpose may be risky from both a liability and damage standpoints. The incremental difference between having it delivered and renting a tow vehicle may not be that much?

I towed a 6,000 boat and trailer combination and it can be a handful, especially in the wind. A big stout heavy duty towing vehicle is a must. I towed it once with my car, an old Detroit iron sedan, and didn't think I was going to make the short trip. VERY bad decision on my part, be careful:D

Paul T

·
Registered
76 Posts
My car broke down right before I was to pick up my new J/80. I rented a Tahoe from Thrifty and got it that way. You will probably need an adapter for the lights. If you are careful, towing is no problem. Just keep it at 55 and stay in the slow lane. Use your mirrors and don't forget you have a somewhat longer load than you're used to.

·
Barquito
3,478 Posts
I, also, understand that U-Haul allows towing. If you aren't in a state that requires trailer brakes, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be careful: Moderate speeds, maintain gaps ahead, check bearings for heating, strong tie-downs. For a few bucks more than renting a truck, you may be able to hire someone to haul the thing (with a pickup truck). In the long run, you are going to want to have something to tow the thing. Maybe just sell your car and buy a tow vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee would work).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got a Cat 22 and use a 1/2 ton Dodge Ram as well as a Jeep Grande Cherokee. As long as the trailer is sound follow the advice already given and you should be fine. I would definitely check the bearings and tires. Some of the rental car companies rent SUVs so that would be a possibility. Where are you moving it from? I've got family in Jax.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I, also, understand that U-Haul allows towing. If you aren't in a state that requires trailer brakes, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be careful: Moderate speeds, maintain gaps ahead, check bearings for heating, strong tie-downs. For a few bucks more than renting a truck, you may be able to hire someone to haul the thing (with a pickup truck). In the long run, you are going to want to have something to tow the thing. Maybe just sell your car and buy a tow vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee would work).
I can only speak from my own experience, which includes driving an 18 wheeler. It is my opinion that if your trailer and boat combination weighs over about 2,000 lbs sooner or later you may be really glad your trailer has properly working brakes. You can be as careful as you can be but you can't control what others may do. Without trailer brakes the extra weight will increase your stopping or braking distance and there may be downhill grades to consider.

Paul T

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Hey,

I spent a year and a half towing a Catalina 22 with a Honda Odyssey. The boat is around 2500 lb and the trailer was around 1000. The van towed just fine. Most trailers will have surge brakes. If the trailer is used in salt water, the surge brakes probably won't work much, if at all. I used to tow around 10 miles from my house to the marina, all flat ground, and it was easy. If I had to go a significant distance, and / or up and down hills, I would want the trailer brakes to be in good condition.

Again, towing, with a proper rig, is pretty easy.

Barry

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've towed boats of all kinds most of my life, just take the advice given plus keep LOTS and LOTS of room between you and whoever is in front of you. When towing around the pressure cooker I live in (Baltimore/DC) I just pretend that everyone is criminally insane (Which is probably true for the most part) and is out to kill me Well it's not all that bad...at least not everytime.

Just like riding a motorcycle around here, my 1993 Harley which I bought new only has a little over 30,000 miles due to me wanting not to die. Most of our mileage is done out of state.

·
Freedom isn't free
2,946 Posts
Uhaul, and Ryder have provisions for towing. a Cat 22 and trailer will be easy to tow with a regulat van, pickup truck or small box truck. Total up weight will be 3500lbs or less.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tried Uhaul and they are crazy. They offer no flat rates. Im towing from Tampa to Jax. They offer a commercial rate of 75 a day for the first 100 miles and 29 cents a mile after that. If I am paying that much I might as well buy a used truck. I am in the process of selling one of my cars to get an old jeep for towing, but that is not gonna happen overnight.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Enterprise has some locations with box trucks and heavier duty pickups that they allow towing with. They may have a different rate structure for those than for regular rental cars/trucks with the unlimited mileage, tho.

·
S/V Glenn E
77 Posts
Check bearings, check bearings, check bearings. I picked up my Newport 27 with dual axle trailer weighing in at 7000 lbs. Buddy with a heavy one ton Ford with diesel to pull it. No problem. Picked up early in the morning for a 60 mile trip home. Bearings bad, pulled into a local shop and 5 hours and $500 later (decided to do it right and replace all the bearings and seals) we pulled in after dark.
I got a deal on the boat and trailer ($3500) so still a deal with the extra $500 and we laughed a lot during the day but a thousand miles from home and short on cash might not be so funny. Or losing one going down the road a highway speeds either.
Trailer had been used the last few years only to launch, recover, and store the boat each year. That may be the case for a lot of trailers. An hour checking bearings can save a lot of headaches down the road.
Best to you and your new love.

·
S/V Glenn E
77 Posts
Another thing to touch on that has been noted: The tow vehicle may be rated for the weight towed but that ain't the whole story. My 03 Tundra is rated at 7200 tow weight and my boat/trailer is 7000. No problem. So I decided to take it up and down the hills the short trip to the marina. Up hills-no problem. Down hill I was just steering the boat from 20' in front of the bow of the boat. The truck WILL tow that weight, but with that much weight, the weight of the tow vehicle makes a VAST difference.
Glad it was a short drive.

·
Water Lover
773 Posts
Ah, to have a friend with a pick-up truck would be so nice.

For example, Budget's larger moving trucks have hitches for towing, but 59 cents a miles x 400 miles plus poor fuel mileage (maybe down to 6--8 mpg, ouch!) make this a pretty inefficient option.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts