SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with the SailFlow Ap:

Look at the Bermuda, Bermuda South and Bahamas buoys forecasts. The Hatterass buoys don’t have the most accurate predictions as it’s a ways off however on Tuesday the first three have some information. Particularly interesting is the wave heights of 27 - 30 ft.

As the data starts coming in and the cyclone approaches and intensifies to a potential category 4 watch the wind predictions also change....for the worse.

I have always been enamoured with this Ap especially when making cruising plans as it’s always been pretty accurate with wind direction and intensity. Even on the Chesapeake it seems to have good accuracy as to the different nuances on the various sides and major estuaries where there are buoys. Any bouy can give your current readings. What I like about this Ap is its predictive capabilities.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
I'm very curious whose forecast Sailflow is using. Their predicted wind speed, change of direction, and minimum pressure at Wilmington Buoy show the eye passing late Sunday night. This is VERY different from NHC's prediction of landfall on Thursday night. That's three days later than NHC's models predict. WOW!

I hope any sailors out there are not relying exclusively on Sailflow to time their escape!

Attachments

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,193 Posts
I have several weather apps on my Android phone. SailFlow is one of them. The problem today is that there are so many apps that it is hard to know which apps do what best. I had been very pleased with the accuracy and detail in Dark Sky. Windfinder's main interface is kind of awkward, but good info. Radar Express is excellent for what it is; weather radar ONLY.

The OP got me to play with SailFlow again. The graphical interface is good, and the wave heights and period will be invaluable for my planned transit of the 'Jersey coast and Delmarva Penninsula in the next week or so - after Florence. Thanks!

·
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm very curious whose forecast Sailflow is using. Their predicted wind speed, change of direction, and minimum pressure at Wilmington Buoy show the eye passing late Sunday night. This is VERY different from NHC's prediction of landfall on Thursday night. That's three days later than NHC's models predict. WOW!

I hope any sailors out there are not relying exclusively on Sailflow to time their escape!

[/QUOTE

Rick I think you read into things here. No one including me should you only one source of information.
The NHC is certainly a much better source for hurricane prediction.

However tell me which site YOU are using to see wave heights. Which Ap are you using to predict wind on the Bay? Which Ap do you use for your cruises ? I don’t think any model is predicting the Wilmington bouy to be anywhere near the strike zone.

·
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Maybe you have the wrong Wilmington Bouy. It’s shows it onland at and airport and shows mainly N/ NW winds majority striking on Friday. I not as adept as copying pasting so I can’t show it

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Maybe you have the wrong Wilmington Bouy. It’s shows it onland at and airport and shows mainly N/ NW winds majority striking on Friday. I not as adept as copying pasting so I can’t show it
The Wilmington Buoy is offshore, and very close to the predicted landfall as of last night. Since then, predicted landfall has been moved further north.

I pulled the forecasts for all the buoys in the area, and Wilmington Buoy was the one with the highest wind and lowest pressure of all of them at the time. Maybe there's another storm with 115 mph gusts coming through there Sunday night, but I don't think so. The point is that the forecast timing they were showing last night was WAY OFF, and I thought it was surprising, so I posted it. No big deal

I use multiple apps and websites for pulling forecasts - WeatherChannel, Wunderground, WindAlert/SailFlow, NDBC, Wx Ch2. Sometimes there are differences, sometimes they seem to be cross-posting the same stuff the NWS puts out. Since I've been sailing inland, some of the apps that others use are not necessary or relevant for me. The app screenshots that I showed are all SailFlow.

Attachments

·
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Wilmington Buoy is offshore, and very close to the predicted landfall as of last night. Since then, predicted landfall has been moved further north.

I pulled the forecasts for all the buoys in the area, and Wilmington Buoy was the one with the highest wind and lowest pressure of all of them at the time. Maybe there's another storm with 115 mph gusts coming through there Sunday night, but I don't think so. The point is that the forecast timing they were showing last night was WAY OFF, and I thought it was surprising, so I posted it. No big deal

I use multiple apps and websites for pulling forecasts - WeatherChannel, Wunderground, WindAlert/SailFlow, NDBC, Wx Ch2. Sometimes there are differences, sometimes they seem to be cross-posting the same stuff the NWS puts out. Since I've been sailing inland, some of the apps that others use are not necessary or relevant for me. The app screenshots that I showed are all SailFlow.

On my SailFlow the Wilmington Bouy is actually at the Wilmington International Airport and is on land. The Mercer Pier Bouy is located where your picture is. Regardless the Wilmington bouts shows landfall winds on Friday.

Our marina will let us know tomorrow if the intend to remove the electric pedestals. We have till Thursday to decide if Haleakula will get pulled. Right now I lean to no, but that can change. The wind will not be the issue as we are uber protected. We chose this marina and that was the number 1 criteria. It’s up a windy creek with no fetch or open water exposure, and has banks/ cliffs and mature trees lining it.

Water is the issue.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
On my SailFlow the Wilmington Bouy is actually at the Wilmington International Airport and is on land. The Mercer Pier Bouy is located where your picture is...
Might want to fix your app. Why would a buoy be at an airfield, and a pier be 15 miles out in the ocean? 🤔

Attachments

·
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny I just looked at the Wilmington bouy/ station. There are two one at the airport and one offshore a couple of miles. Both are in agreement. Also I see both are predicting the hurricane on Friday.....always have maybe YOU should check your Ap.

Maybe you have a “fake weather phone”

Not sure what your issue is with SailFlow as demonstrated by your sarcasm g. It’s one of the better apps I and others use ( not singularly) . You failed to tell me what aps you use predict wave height or wave interval therefore I assume you don’t have that information on your sites. I certainly don’t use SailFlow to predict hurricanes. My original post...and I started the thread was to take a look at the wave heights.

The info on SailFlow is taken from both weather stations and buoys. We pass a few anchored in the water and see the one on top of the Thomas Point Light as we sail by. There is a yellow on on the Severn we pass also. I can verify their accuracy in that the readings for what Nd speed, direction and wave height are exactly what I see when I pass them on Haleakula. Tolly Point , Green Point, Severn ,and Thomas Point stations , all near me and within 4 miles of each other have different metrics showing how accurate their nuances are.

I know the racers on every weekend use SailFlow to get up to the minute ACCURATE wind readings on different parts of their course.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Dave, I use WindAlert and Sailflow all the time, and it has wave predictions, as you can clearly see in my screenshots.

I'm not using sarcasm, just reporting factual observations backed up with screenshots. There was a significant error in one of their forecasts, which has since been corrected. I don't think it is at all controversial to advise others to use multiple sources of information in making decisions.

Reactions: chef2sail
1 - 11 of 11 Posts