SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my boat into the water but....

My trailer coupler was so bad it was a struggle to even attach it to the truck then the fluid cap snapped off.

So I pulled the old coupler off to replace it the brake line was zigzaged to compensate for it being too long.
I want to do the repair right. I am about 40 minutes from the nearest auto parts store.

Any advice on parts and specialty tools needed to make this repair tomorrow? I'll also need to bleed the system.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Hey,

What is your tow vehicle and how far do you need to tow and are there any big hills on the route? The reason I ask is that if your vehicle is large and the distance short I would just drop the boat in the water and then fix the trailer at a later date. I know that's not legal or 'right' but if you go slowly and have a large tow vehicle you will be OK.

To repair you don't need any special tools. A flare nut wrench is good to have but not really required. You will need to take pictures of the current line. Make careful measurements. Then go to a hydraulic shop or GOOD auto parts place and tell them what you need. Any decent shop will be able to make the brake line in a few minutes. It's very easy to bend the line, and flare the ends.

Good luck,
Barry

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,

What is your tow vehicle and how far do you need to tow and are there any big hills on the route? The reason I ask is that if your vehicle is large and the distance short I would just drop the boat in the water and then fix the trailer at a later date. I know that's not legal or 'right' but if you go slowly and have a large tow vehicle you will be OK.
That's what I did.

Boat is in dry storage with mast up. The road to the ramp is steep and narrow crossing a country highway just before entering the marina. I had visions of careening down the road across the highway.

WIth a 6 speed manual trannie I put it into 1st gear and barely had to touch the brakes. Boat is in the water, which was important as it was to be our home for two nights.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Our trailer popped a line somewhere on the Interstate. I now believe in surge brakes. I took measurements of the old lines then picked up new lines at a trailer part store. While only one line broke, I replaced all four to be safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts